SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Paint to mark anchor chain? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/97970-paint-mark-anchor-chain.html)

brokesailor 03-29-2013 10:11 AM

Paint to mark anchor chain?

Anyone painted their anchor rode to mark chain at specific intervals? What kind of paint did you use? WM does not show anything for that purpose.

rdw 03-29-2013 10:42 AM

Re: Paint to mark anchor chain?

I painted my chain every 30 feet. First 30 I made one mark and then two marks at 60, 3 at 90. I used a orange red paint used for auto engines just because I had it in the garage. I did clean the chain with muratic acid first. I do not know how it will hold up. I was actually repainting it. It has worked well but was wearing faint.
RDW

chucklesR 03-29-2013 11:00 AM

Regular rustoleum paint works well enough, spray or brush.
No matter what you put on it won't last more than a couple years so it's pointless to get expensive.

Make the marks at least 6 inches long and add tie wraps so you have something to 'see'/'feel' at night.

MarkofSeaLife 03-29-2013 11:42 AM

Rode or chain?

Rode I don't have, but chain I mark every ten meters, thirty feet, with colored cable ties. They are fine for a year or so then I add to them, or replace the dirty ones (yellow on the ICW turns ICW colored brown!)

Mark

priscilla 03-29-2013 11:52 AM

model airplane dope...or swipe your wifes nail polish. After several years it still shows up OK. BILL

Minnewaska 03-29-2013 12:42 PM

I've never seen paint last very long and mud totally obscures it, if you don't clean it well. Tie wraps seem to last a year or two, but always concern me that they will hang up on the windlass.

I bought these a couple of years back and just haven't gotten around to installing them. Believe it or not, our BVI charter had them.

Imtra Chain Markers

brokesailor 03-29-2013 12:46 PM

Paint to mark anchor chain?

I have tie wraps but some how I never see them going down....
I'll try rust oleum Thanks.

TQA 03-29-2013 01:17 PM

I am a full time liveaboard on the hook 98% of the time. I have tried several different paints [ not model dope or nail varnish ] but nothing survives long on a sandy bottom. Sometimes after just one month almost all is gone.

Cable ties work well and that is what I am curently using. I use different colours double them up and replace annually.

What lasts longest is nylon string. Knots to show the length. But they are hard to see esp at night.

kellysails 03-29-2013 01:50 PM

I've used cable ties in the past and they worked well. I have not added them to my new chain yet, yet another item for my never ending todo list:)

pdqaltair 03-29-2013 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chucklesR (Post 1009427)
Regular rustoleum paint works well enough, spray or brush.
No matter what you put on it won't last more than a couple years so it's pointless to get expensive.

Make the marks at least 6 inches long and add tie wraps so you have something to 'see'/'feel' at night.

What he said. I tried other markers, but the windlass didn't like them.

A box can make the job neater:
Sail Delmarva: Marking Chain