SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Boom rigging question (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/98015-boom-rigging-question.html)

rbyham 03-30-2013 10:14 PM

Boom rigging question

Well we got the job on this morning. Wanted to rig the boom and main too but found wabouled tour. . n the boom stay when we stepped the mast. Sad but nobody caught it. Anyway I notice several boats in my marina don't use a boom stay. They simply run a line from end of boom to a connector on the back stay. I am wondering if that is a temporary solution for me until Ican figure iout how the bosun seat works.? If advised, what is the connector called?

BTW we had first sail today too. Even with just a jib it was a fun downhill run for about an hour...

Alex W 03-30-2013 10:20 PM

Re: Boom rigging question

It is called a pigtail and is made with a short piece of wire attached to a shackle. I don't like them, but they work better than nothing.

FSMike 03-30-2013 10:41 PM

Pigtail is correct for the connector.
I think that what you are calling a boom stay is what I would call a topping lift.

rbyham 03-30-2013 10:52 PM

I agree the boom stay and topingnlift are same in my mind. Running to back stay would be temporary till I can get up the mast to run the boom stay. I will look for a shackle that will let run a pigtail for now.

rbyham 03-30-2013 11:14 PM

What kind of shackle fixes to the back stay?

Alex W 03-31-2013 12:11 AM

The shackle doesn't fix to the backstay, it is used to secure the pigtail to the boom. The pigtail is crimped to the backstay using a crimp. If you just want it to be temporary I guess I would use a couple of wire rope clamps.

It's probably about the same amount of work to just go up the mast.

Sabreman 03-31-2013 12:30 AM

An easy alternative is to attach the main halyard to the end of the boom, if it's long enough.

rbyham 03-31-2013 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex W (Post 1010186)
The shackle doesn't fix to the backstay, it is used to secure the pigtail to the boom. The pigtail is crimped to the backstay using a crimp. If you just want it to be temporary I guess I would use a couple of wire rope clamps.

It's probably about the same amount of work to just go up the mast.

Oh ok now I got it. Thanks.

rhr1956 03-31-2013 10:41 AM

Attach a "shroud cleat" to the back stay. From that you can tie a pigtail and shackle. Easy Peasy. Google Shroud Cleat.

Liquorice 04-03-2013 04:53 PM

Listen to sabreman - you don't need a topping lift, you already have a main halyard. Use this to keep the boom up when the sail is down.
There's no such thing as a boom stay!