SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   hole plug (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/98032-hole-plug.html)

jaymckay 04-01-2013 08:40 AM

hole plug

Hey guys the previous owner installed a knot meter type thru hull fitting and it ultimately failed so now I'm stuck with this hole in my boat that I can't use for anything.. any ideas? I really don't feel like reglassing the thick solid hull. I was thinking maybe a bolt? Or some kind of grounding plate? Thanks all ideas welcome

jameswilson29 04-01-2013 10:40 AM

Re: hole plug

There should be a plug with a thru-post fitting designed for that hole, to allow the speedo to be removed temporarily for cleaning. Personally, I like having the speedo and would encourage you to replace it with a new one.

Otherwise, glass over it. It should not be too much work and is the only secure way to fix it permanently. Of course the boat will have to hauled...

tweitz 04-01-2013 11:07 AM

hole plug

I would not be comfortable using the fill in plug as a permanent solution. I don't think they are designed for that.

FinallySailing 04-01-2013 11:30 AM

The only safe and permanent solution will be to glass over it. It is actually not that difficult ;) Alternatively, buy the same knot meter again. If it's not produced any more, look for a second hand one on fleebay.

padean 04-01-2013 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweitz (Post 1010628)
I would not be comfortable using the fill in plug as a permanent solution. I don't think they are designed for that.

I concur. The "plug" that comes with most of these depth/speed instruments is meant to be temporary, and usually made of plastic and hollow, typically much less substantial than the speedo/depth instrument itself. I would not be comfortable using this as a permanent solution, or even trying to get by for a season as a temporary solution. If it fails, that leaves a pretty large hole at usually the deepest part of your hull where the water pressure is highest.

The best solution, as mentioned before, is to either find another speedo (the hole size should be pretty standard, and you can usually find a replacement) or remove the rest and glass/epoxy it closed. Alternatively, you can put an entirely new system in, even if the new hole is a little larger, if you you would like the instruments.

overbored 04-01-2013 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweitz (Post 1010628)

that is exactly what the blanking plug is designed for. the blanking plug is designed to the same dimensions as the speed sensor and is to be used when the sensor is removed for cleaning or repair. the manufacturer recommends that the plug is left in when the sensor is not going to be used for more then a week to prevent fowling

capttb 04-01-2013 12:25 PM

I'd use the blanking plug also, until I could repair/replace the knotmeter, I don't like to sail without one.

SVTatia 04-01-2013 02:09 PM

I would plug and glass it for peace of mind. When hell is breaking loose you don't want to feel sorry you didn't do the proper way.
Its not hard, here is how for a 2" hole:

...The first step is to sand the inside of the hole to expose fresh laminate. Next, pour some mixed epoxy into a 2" diameter cup to form a "puck" when cured that is about 1/8" to 3/16" thick. Sand the edge of the puck and both face surfaces, and then dry fit the puck in the hole so that it is centered with regard to the thickness of the laminate.

For the entire how-to, go to this link, then to the bottom of the article:

WEST SYSTEM | Projects | Fiberglass Boat Repair & Restoration - Repairing machined holes in fiberglass

groggy 04-01-2013 02:30 PM

seems like just replacing the knotmeter would be the easiest solution. and you get a working knot meter out of it to boot!

mikehoyt 04-01-2013 02:41 PM

I agree with groggy. A new knotmeter is not that expensive and just replacing the transducer even less so. On top of that a knotmeter on a sailboat is a very very nice thing to have