Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-01-2013

deltaten is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten
Color-coding lines, options?

In making up the list of running-rigging lines I need, I'm findingprice increases from white to colored lines. It would be simple to just order a long length of one white piece and cut/splice as needed.

What, if any, colorant will "take" on double-braid poly line? Permanent marker? Dye of some sort? White line becomes so stained as it is; why not "stain" it to suit my needs?

I'm probably over thinking this. With only a pair of halyards, a pair of jib-sheets and the main sheet to deal with, there's not much to get confused over....at least on my part. There will be non-sailors accompanying me on most trips and I'd be more likely to get results from neophytes with commands to "let go the green line" rather than " ease the port jib sheet"

At a savings of nearly half , there is *some* method to my madness

TIA,
Paul
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-01-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road
Re: Color-coding lines, options?

Is there a good sailing store nearby? Watch their cutoffs area for good deals on end sections of line. I've outfit more than half of my boat that way (halyards are hard) and got a nice mix of lines and colors. It also let me match the line type to the need, using low stretch line in places where that matters (halyards), and cheaper high stretch line for places where it doesn't (topping lift). Some online sources also sell end rolls for good prices. Check with APS and eBay.

I am also a fan of splicing double braid to Amsteel (this splicing is easy to learn) if you want low cost and low stretch lines.

Having the same color mainsheet and jib sheets drives me batty, let alone my crew. My boat came with matching blue and white Sta-Set X for all three. It's really annoying when it is time to tack and you have a pile of matching blue and white sta-set on the cockpit floor. The lines don't need to have solid colors, just different tracers is helpful enough.

I don't think that any of the fabric dyes will work very well on new finished line. There is a coating that makes them slick. On old line it might work. I know that the permanent marker that I use for splicing marks washes off fairly quickly.
Old 04-01-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Most of the yachts I've raced on over the years have had fairly standardized colored lines: Green for lines dealing with the main, blue for lines dealing with the jibs and red for lines dealing with the spinnakers. For example, main sheet of solid green with white tracers, main halyards, white with green tracers; jib halyards, white with blue tracers, jib sheets, white with blue tracers (can't mistake them for halyards, eh?), etc. etc. etc. It's a matter of what works for you and is easy to remember.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 04-01-2013

DonScribner is on a distinguished road

Paul,

Alex has it. Head to the local boat and paw through their drop barrel. I've gotten some wick'd good deals on rope that way. I haven't replaced all my lines yet but in time. The other thing, it sounds like you're being as cheap, I mean thrifty, as I am. But, for the extra $20 for colored lines, you'll get exactly what you want. Whenever I cheap out, I end up spending more in the end anyway. The stories I could tell.

Don
Old 04-01-2013

jsaronson is on a distinguished road

Paul.

EBay is great for lines under 100 feet. On your boat, that takes care of all your sheets, and traveler lines and possibly halyards. As someone else said, solid colors are not necessary, but I did spring for a solid mainsheet. Spinnaker sheets should be red for port, green for starboard.
Old 04-01-2013
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltaten View Post
In making up the list of running-rigging lines I need, I'm findingprice increases from white to colored lines. It would be simple to just order a long length of one white piece and cut/splice as needed.

What, if any, colorant will "take" on double-braid poly line?

At a savings of nearly half , there is *some* method to my madness

TIA,
Paul
One single color is a PITA. No dies will take to new line. How much are you saving? Half of $100 isn't much in the grand scheme of things. 1/2 of a 1,000 is a different story.

In any case, I'm with Don. I've cheaped out on some things only to go back and pay double for the correct material in the end. Pay once and be done, or cheap out once and cry every time you need to use it. I know it's expensive, but it really is worth it.

Full disclosure, I sell NER, but do not base my opinion on selling more rope.
Old 04-01-2013

deltaten is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten

Hmm... good comments/answers all... Thanks

I stopped at WM on the way home to size the lines. I could use 7/16 Sta-Set(?way over-rated strength-wise; but most common for the main; as it 'hands' better.

Jib lines are a toss up, 'hand-wise, as the Genny will run onto the winches and the storm/short jib will run well enuff by hand.

Halyards only need to be big/strong enuff to equal or better the wire half-halyards. I wuz thinking a 5/16 in a yetter rating, such as "flightline", mostly for the color diff ; but will probably do Sta-Set X in 3/8, if only for the decrease in stretch..(but really..how much?)

Sometime this season, I'll be up the mast and deal with new downs, spare halyards and the new rigged topping lift....'project creep' is an amazing thing!

I *was* considering red/green for P/S jib/genny lines, blue for main and that odd yellow/tracer mix for the halyards. HyLite's color codes seem to work well so mebbe I'l follow suit?
I *do * scan E-Bay for deals.Most are retailers like Dale's Ropes and Milwaukee Rigging and they will cut to size whatever ya want... as long as it's in stock, for what is listed on e-bay...usually less than half of WM prices! Retail prices of near to $400 for all the rigging can be cut to under $200 if shopped right.

Main is min. 75 feet. Hal's are near ta 36 each and the jib lines are 30 ft. a piece

Anybody use the XLS (?) out of Canada? Some decent sticker price on that too!

Last edited by deltaten; 04-01-2013 at 03:16 PM.
Old 04-01-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

All decent lines come with data that will help you analyze stretch. I know Samson lines better than NERopes. Samson XLS Extra has about 1/3rd of the stretch of XLS and is about 10% stronger. On a 50' section of halyard (40' mast, plus line back to the cockpit) you might see 3% stretch vs 1% stretch at high loads. 6" vs 18" is huge!

Personally I greatly prefer to splice XLS Extra vs Sta-Set X.

The Canadian Novatech XLE line is okay for limited applications, it is very similar to XLS or Sta-Set (not Sta-Set X). I use it for the dynamic section of my topping lift. It also splices nicely with AmSteel if you want to use AmSteel for the loaded section of a line, and double braid for the section that goes around the winch or through a clutch. This is a great way to get high tech lines for very reasonable prices, and as I said the splicing is easy to learn.
Old 04-02-2013

Hesper is on a distinguished road

I've gotten lots of colored line at good prices on Ebay.