SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Polishing pulpit and standing rigging (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/98045-polishing-pulpit-standing-rigging.html)

northoceanbeach 04-01-2013 01:47 PM

Polishing pulpit and standing rigging

My standing rigging is dirty under where there are covers I protect the jib, so I figured I would polish those an the stanchions and pulpits.

I think I will wash, rub with fine bronze wool and then use flitz polish. I'm not a handyman, so I thought I'd run it by people here because mistake on a boat are costly.

Will this method damage anything or especially hurt the rigging?

Morild 04-01-2013 02:25 PM

Re: Polishing pulpit and standing rigging

I can't see that will do any harm at all.
Personally I can polish it just fine, by just using a metal-polish cream, so maybe try with that first?
Btw I replaced all of my standing rigging on my 26" boat last year, it was cheaper than I thought and I think it is a good idea to do if the wires have more than 30 years on them.

Omatako 04-01-2013 02:48 PM

Personally I would avoid bronze wool if at all possible. The fine scratches left behind will be way more difficult to remove than the loss of shine on the material.

Try a good metal polish first, I use a product called Autosol I think it is a US product so may be available where you are. I use it after a strong acid wash following TIG welding and it shines up really well.

Morild 04-01-2013 02:54 PM

Good point,
Autosol is the product I use, just couldn't remember the name of it :)

miatapaul 04-01-2013 04:34 PM

Flitz should work well also, but I would skip the bronze wool. You might try just using a microfiber cloth with the Flitz on it, that will likely clean it up. Barkeeper's friend works well too, just make sure you rinse it well, as it does contain a light acid.

northoceanbeach 04-01-2013 08:06 PM

How much did it cost to replace your standing rigging? Did you do it yourself?

Minnewaska 04-01-2013 09:40 PM

I'm a big fan of Nevr-Dull, but it works best on stainless tubing, like sanctions and the pulpit. Twisted wire rigging would be messy.

http://www.nevrdull.com/

mikel1 04-01-2013 11:12 PM

Why hasn't anyone mentioned "Spotless Stainless" ?

northoceanbeach 04-01-2013 11:41 PM

This flitz is actually doing an amazing job. The forestay where I polished glistened like new wire in the sunset. The part I couldn't reach did not.

The boat I just got had these old plastic, somewhat tight fitting plastic covers on the shrouds, with bigger plastic rollers on the bottom. So I cracked and peele them off and will work on the shrouds tomorrow. They have a bit of hmm.. Green fuzz in them tht I will have to brush out.

I wish standing Rigging was an easier job, I would always replace it, but it seems that it and the deck hardware, I.e. the blocks, tackle etc get left the longest. A rope you can replace here or there, but really the standing its all at once.

Morild 04-02-2013 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by northoceanbeach (Post 1010919)
How much did it cost to replace your standing rigging? Did you do it yourself?

The new wires were "made" by a rigger, it require special tools to put the terminals on the wires.

I paid around 3.500 DKK (Is 600 USD) for the wires (2 shrouds each side and back-stay) including new turnbuckles! (I hope it's the right Words in English for these Things :-) )

It also gave me the chance to get them shortened a couple of centimeters.