Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2013

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road
Re: Westerbeke vs Yanmar

Are you installing the engine in Costa Rica, or just needing servicing there? FWIW, Westerbeke's universal line are marineized Kubota engines and thier parts are readily available at non-marine prices. Westerbeke makes a 12hp and a "Universal" at 20hp. Are you looking for an 18hp? Are you thinking of going over or undersized? I had a M23 with over 5,000 trouble free hours. My current M35B (four cylinder) runs very smoothly.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-01-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

I was looking at the 3 cyl. 18 hp Yanmar, so what ever Westerbeke has like that. I have a kubota engine powering the genset on my dive boat, so I am familiar with those.Is an
M23 a westerbeke model? All I realy know about westerbeke is I Think they are red, loud, vibrate and english. Now I think they are japanese "Univesal"'s I'm confused even more. I need something that will run well for day's and day's nonstop....who does'nt right.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 04-01-2013 at 09:26 PM.
Old 04-01-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

There's no question that it would be convenient to have your warranty service provided by the yard you are in.

Of course, you may be aware that Westerbleak doesn't actually design or build engines. WB just contracts out for the lowest bidder on every part or system.

Yanmar actually designs and builds the damned things.

Just, you know, something to think about.
Old 04-01-2013
KNOT KNOWN

4 for Yanmar and and Westerbleak 2. The warranty matters. I buy My Yamaha outboards that I use in Honduras, in Honduras for that very reason. I guess I should google Yanmar dealer la Ceiba, for all I know there is a dealer in La Cieba.
Old 04-01-2013

SVTatia is on a distinguished road

I had a Westerbeke 21A on my previous boat and it was flawless for 7 years. I would buy one again. My current boat came with with Westerbeke 30.

Westerbeke is American, based in Wisconsin. These are marinized Mitisubishi engines (not Kubota as mentioned in a previous post). Beta marinizes Kubota diesels.

Their parts are expensive, but with a little creativity you can avoid buying parts from them as it is a tractor engine and the components are everywhere under other names. I traced the Mitsubishi engine number and bought a Mitsubishi engine manual for my engine so I can buy Mistsu tractor parts if needed.

Anyway, Westerbeke are very reliable engines IMHO.
Old 04-01-2013

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Nothing wrong with the current crop of Westerbeke engines, ours has over 3k hours is smooth, quiet and purrs like the day she was new. She burns no oil. We have had zero "engine" issues. I did have a solenoid go but those are not Mitsubishi parts. I did replace the motor mounts and have done all the services, valve adjustments etc.. They are based on marinized Mitsubishi industrial engines. Yanmar is also good as is Beta.

Any of the Japanese based engines are good when it comes to the blocks. Even Volvo's are Japanese blocks these days. The base engines are made by Shibaura and then sold to Perkins who then sells them to Volvo......

If I was to replace my Westerbeke I'd have no qualms going Westy again, though I'd look real hard at Beta. I like Yannies too...

As for prices of parts Yanmar and Westebeke are neck & neck. Volvo is more costly and the parts not always available. Westerbeke does a very good job of keeping parts in-stock even for some of the older engines. Beta wins in parts pricing and they have no issue telling you exactly what Kubota block your engine is so you can go to a tractor supply store and save 50-80% over "marine".... Even the marinized parts on a Beta are relatively reasonably priced..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 04-01-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
I had a Westerbeke 21A on my previous boat and it was flawless for 7 years. I would buy one again. My current boat came with with Westerbeke 30.

Westerbeke is American, based in Wisconsin. These are marinized Mitisubishi engines (not Kubota as mentioned in a previous post). Beta marinizes Kubota diesels.

Their parts are expensive, but with a little creativity you can avoid buying parts from them as it is a tractor engine and the components are everywhere under other names. I traced the Mitsubishi engine number and bought a Mitsubishi engine manual for my engine so I can buy Mistsu tractor parts if needed.

Anyway, Westerbeke are very reliable engines IMHO.
Ok Ok, that's what I was looking for, American is good, I guess I was confused with Brigs and strat. When I said English. I like Mitsubishi as well. We just leaned heavy back to Westerbeke. I like Tractors.....Compelling argument Svtatia, well done. Thanks.
Old 04-01-2013

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough

They're actually Mitsubishi engines.

To be honest, if I had to repower, I'd probably go with what was readily available, like Yanmar. What had readily available parts. I like the Westerbeke, but I take care of the thing. Parts are readily available from the handful of dealers, but the cost is insane. $15 for an oil filter? I get the same thing from the auto parts store for $3.

So you could count me as 1 Yanmar and 1 for Westerbeke. Sorry.
Old 04-01-2013

bristol299bob is on a distinguished road

Hold up! Capt Aaron, you are putting in an engine? This is an April fools day joke right? I suppose you are downsizing your anchor too?

:-)
Capt.aaron likes this.
Hull #5
Oriental NC
Old 04-02-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Yanmar all the way....WB second ( I like them also, just prefer the Yanmar we have) .......volvo never

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 04-02-2013 at 12:13 AM.