Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: Westerbeke vs Yanmar

FWIW, the old Universal engines (the line was bought by Westerbeke) were Kubota blocks. The newere ones may be Mitsubishi, I haven't researched the new ones yet (and I hope to not have to).
JimMcGee likes this.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-02-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bristol299bob View Post
Hold up! Capt Aaron, you are putting in an engine? This is an April fools day joke right? I suppose you are downsizing your anchor too?

:-)
Ha, you got me.....No I am putting one in. I need to be able to motor on and off of Guanaja to La Cieba at will in all conditons. It's usually a run down to la cieba and a beat back. I have the dreaded scheduale. I'll be coming and going every two weeks from Honduras to Miami. I want to keep my boat in a slip in La Cieba when I'm on the Tug, and when I get off I want to be able to fly to La Cieba and carry my own self back to the Island rather than stay in a Hotel, and fly back on the little Rusian Plane that may or may not have a seat. Price of living out on the fringe. Plus when I'm home in Honduras, I want to be able to motor between the islands wind or not. It's easy to sail away from Guanaja as it sits up wind of every thing else, but getting out to the island is a beat from every where, Roatan, Cayas Cochinos, Utilla, Rio dulce, la Cieba, all down wind of Guanaja. Looks like Westy won. If Maine Sail is happy with his, that's good enough for me.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 04-02-2013 at 01:17 AM.
Old 04-02-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Yanmar all the way....WB second ( I like them also, just prefer the Yanmar we have) .......volvo never
Why?

All my research for a new engine pointed towards ease of maintenance and the install. Neither Yanmar or Westerneke met this criteria well. Other than that, they're all pretty simple small diesel engines, how the owner takes care of them will mean more than a name brand.

Questions like these are better asked to mechanics. in my opinion, otherwise you're just going to get opinions...and we all know what they're like! LOL
Old 04-02-2013

aa3jy is on a distinguished road

I believe 60% of all new boats are powered with Yanmars. Parts are more readily found world wide then any other engine manufacturer. Though I would have seriously considered in replacing our rebuilt Yanmar with a Beta.
Old 04-02-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
Why?

All my research for a new engine pointed towards ease of maintenance and the install. Neither Yanmar or Westerneke met this criteria well. Other than that, they're all pretty simple small diesel engines, how the owner takes care of them will mean more than a name brand.

Questions like these are better asked to mechanics. in my opinion, otherwise you're just going to get opinions...and we all know what they're like! LOL
No, questions like these are best asked towrads experienced cruisers who have countless hours opperating the engines and dealing with what may be common issues. You'll see a thru line. For instance, the cooling system on the vovlos, I have much experience working on these, and can tell some one what to look out for as they have nuances to their design that requires special care when taking a tool to the lines. A mechanic works in a shop and rarely has any actual sea time. I don't want to hear about how they can work on engines, I already know that, they are mechanics. Obviously prevenative maintenance is crucial to the longevity of the engine. I know Yanmar is a reliable little engine, I've done many delivery's with a lot of different models, I even owned the one cyl. years ago and worked on it a lot. I wanted to hear from Westy owners and their testimonials, and yes I know a lot about oppinoins and what they are like, there are some on this forum that I value, like Maine sails. You asked why. Why is because I've been so sure I was going to buy the 3 cyl. 18 hp Yanmar for years, that I did'nt even consider looking at another. Now, I have a good reason to look at the westerbeke, but before I begin the proccess, I wanted to use this forum for what I belive it is here for, to hear from sailors, what they think of their Westerbeke's. I am thankful I did ask, I went from knowing nothing, to understanding quite a bit.
It's looking like Westerbeke is winning, considering the area I am opperating in, it's lack of services, having the mechanic that installed it, the dealer, and the warranty close at hand will be worth it's weight. Thanks everyone for your imput.
Regards ,
Aaron.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 04-02-2013 at 10:01 AM.
Old 04-02-2013

Good points,

My testimonial FWIW, which is about about nothing I suspect...

Our boat was powered with a W50, probably oversized at 41 HP 17,000# boat.

- Engine had/has 3700 hours
- Burned over 1.5 gal/hr at 2400 RPM
- Hard starts even in temps above 70 F
- Rebuilt injectors & injector pump, did nothing to help fuel issue or start issues
- Common oil leak at rear seal, more of a nuisance than anything
- Motor mounts/bushing completely undersized and poorly engineered, nothing close to what is found on Yanmar, Beta, Nanni, etc
- Regular maintenance items were poorly designed and made it difficult to perform. On the W 50 the entire raw water pump Assembly had to be removed to change the impeller
- The oil filter was wedged so nicely between fuel lines on its side that there was no way to remove it and not spill several ounces of oil, no matter how one tried to cut a old plastic jug to cathc the oil

Of course none of that is really relevant because we're talking about a 30 year old engine that was poorly maintained it appears, or maybe it was because it was a Westerbeke and not a Yanmar? LOL
Old 04-02-2013

paul323 is on a distinguished road

I have limited experience with Yanmar, but have a Westerbeke 3B3. Works as advertised. Uses about 0.5g/hr @2500. Parts tend to be expensive. The only problem I have had so far was a bad selenoid.

I like the "admiral's panel" they sell.

One factor that has not been mentioned: It was my PO who replaced the old engine; access is the P323 is tight, and folks I know had to cut a vertical support (cosmetic) in the galley area to get the Yanmar engine in. Somehow the yard squeezed the Westerbeke in without cutting (or damage). May not be an issue, but in a tight fit the Westerbeke *may* be smaller??

Finally - a pro like you will have thought of this - my engine is installed backwards (V-drive), but the oil filter is off the engine, conveniently positioned on a bulkhead, and the oil sump drain tube also more conveniently located. Little things like that make a huge difference simplifying servicing.
Old 04-02-2013

aa3jy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
Good points,

My testimonial FWIW, which is about about nothing I suspect...

Our boat was powered with a W50, probably oversized at 41 HP 17,000# boat.

- Engine had/has 3700 hours
- Burned over 1.5 gal/hr at 2400 RPM
- Hard starts even in temps above 70 F
- Rebuilt injectors & injector pump, did nothing to help fuel issue or start issues
- Common oil leak at rear seal, more of a nuisance than anything
- Motor mounts/bushing completely undersized and poorly engineered, nothing close to what is found on Yanmar, Beta, Nanni, etc
- Regular maintenance items were poorly designed and made it difficult to perform. On the W 50 the entire raw water pump Assembly had to be removed to change the impeller
- The oil filter was wedged so nicely between fuel lines on its side that there was no way to remove it and not spill several ounces of oil, no matter how one tried to cut a old plastic jug to cathc the oil

Of course none of that is really relevant because we're talking about a 30 year old engine that was poorly maintained it appears, or maybe it was because it was a Westerbeke and not a Yanmar? LOL
Done a compression test recently?
Old 04-02-2013

When the engine was still in the boat, yes and #1 was poor. More than likely that was the major conributor to the issues mentioned. Thats why I initally pulled it to do a rebuild, but after costing parts and time required to the job with the assitance of a trained mechanic, I opted for a new engine with a warranty. Cost was more to go new, but worth it IMO.
Old 04-02-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Are all Westerbekes back-a$$ mounted? I recall doing a "Rescue" delivery, " sail it home for me" engine is broke, and that one was in backwards v drive. I hate that system.
Well, I may have come full cricle. I just read that La Ceiba shipyard is also now a Yanmar dealer. Yay for me because I'm sure I want a Yanmar, but having the dealer, mechanic that installed it, and all that close to home was worth looking at the Westy's. I learned a lot here regardless. I come across these Westy's every once in a while on deliveries, so the more i know about their pro's and cons the better. Thanks again all.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 04-02-2013 at 12:19 PM.