Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road
Re: Westerbeke vs Yanmar

Round and Round. First, you can't belive everything you read on the internet. La Ceiba Shipyard is not a Yanmar Dealer. Only Westerbeke. My next hurdle is getting around what model is available for me. They only seem to have a 12hp with 2 cyl. I want 3 cyl. for the smooth run. It seems to me like it will jump around a lot. The 30 is too big and is the smallest they have in 3 cyl. The little 12 hp looks sharp, and looks like it's not a V drive, which would be deal breaker. So, has anybody any experience with the new 12 hp Westerbekes? It looks like a tight little engine. Should push my little 28 footer along all right. I'm 80% sure I'm going with this model unlesss some one has some horror story about this model. Does anyone have an idea where to get a ball park price on line or know off hand what they cost?

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 04-02-2013 at 01:51 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-02-2013

misfits is on a distinguished road

I don't think you'll find anything in 3 cylinders till you get over the 20 hp mark. Most of the 12-16 hp motots I've seen are 2 cylinders.

While the boat is at home I'd like to repower to get rid of a md7a & have looked at Yanmar & Beta. In my boat I'd have to increase the height of the engine stringers to accomadate a Beta. The Yanmar is RH rotation only, the Volvo is LH so I'm not sure how that will shake out.

I have been looking at the 12 & 16 hp Vetus, avalaible in LH rotation & they seem to have a good warranty. 3 years or 1000 hours & after that another 2 years on major stuff either up or an additional 1500 hours.

Might be worth a peek
Old 04-02-2013

ccher is on a distinguished road

Well, I've had all the big 3 over the years:

2 cylinder cast iron (yes the V word) circa 1976, running strong when I sold the boat and running well for the present owner. I had found a source for aftermarket maintenance parts which helped. Loved that motor, however I would not have replaced it with one of the new Volvos-not the same engines at all.

3 cylinder 26 HP WesterB/Universal which vibrated a lot in the lower RPMs and somewhat noisy compared to the old Volvo and my new Yanmar, but very reliable.

A fairly new 3 cylinder 29 HP Yanmar in my current boat which is too new to talk much about reliability, but boy is it smooth; starts effortlessly, purrs at all RPMs. Hope this testimonial doesn't jinx me when I de-winterize this coming weekend.

Don't think you can go wrong with either the WB or Y. Most of what's been said seems to substantiate that, anecdotally at least. Good luck which ever way you go.
Loriprov likes this.
Old 04-03-2013

Loriprov is on a distinguished road

We have a Yanmar raw water cooled in our '83 Irwin 34 - original 3GM and I wouldn't trade it for anything (except maybe a freshwater cooled someday). Trouble is, as we maintain it religiously, we have been told that as long as we never use synthetic oil, we might be able to will it to our kids! Our very good friends have a Westerbeke in their Pierson 40 that has created many days of trial and tribulation - transmission, lines, etc. My friends' wife and I now call it "Mr. Westerbeke" to forstall cursing it.

If we ever decide to change boats, I will be hard-pressed to love another boat if it doesn't have a Yanmar in the engine compartment.

I look forward to hearing how you decide to play King Solomon and decide between your desire for the Yanmar and your desire for that heart to heart boat yard relationship!
Old 04-03-2013
Cherp

Cherp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfits View Post
You might also want to look at the vetus. It's a mitsu block.
Vetus parts are hideously expensive. Try more than $1000 US for a set of rings for a small four-cylinder.
Old 04-03-2013
captrice

captrice is on a distinguished road

Can only talk about the Yanmar in the 39 Irwin I just bought. I brought the boat back from New York to Panama city Fl this winter with the newly installed 4JH3 44 HP and i was very much impressed with the performance and economy. As a 40 year commercial and charter fisherman I have only dealt with 4 Westerbeake generators and had lots of problems with the aluminum expansion tanks and thermostat housings. It left a bad impression with me.
captrice
S/V Tomstoy
Old 04-03-2013

misfits is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherp View Post
Vetus parts are hideously expensive. Try more than $1000 US for a set of rings for a small four-cylinder.
Good to know, thanks!
Old 04-03-2013
Will work to sail. :-)

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

I'm late to this party, but thought I'd add my $0.02.

Recent Westerbeake = Mitsubishi block. Parts are available, if expensive, throughout the world.
Yanmar Great engine, designed from the block up to be a marine diesel. Parts are available throughout the world.

If I were in your position however, given that you already have, and are familiar with a Kubota, I would choose a Beta Marine. Beta = Kubota block. Parts are available throughout the world, and they are reasonable!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems
Old 04-03-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loriprov View Post
We have a Yanmar raw water cooled in our '83 Irwin 34 - original 3GM and I wouldn't trade it for anything (except maybe a freshwater cooled someday). Trouble is, as we maintain it religiously, we have been told that as long as we never use synthetic oil, we might be able to will it to our kids! Our very good friends have a Westerbeke in their Pierson 40 that has created many days of trial and tribulation - transmission, lines, etc. My friends' wife and I now call it "Mr. Westerbeke" to forstall cursing it.

If we ever decide to change boats, I will be hard-pressed to love another boat if it doesn't have a Yanmar in the engine compartment.

I look forward to hearing how you decide to play King Solomon and decide between your desire for the Yanmar and your desire for that heart to heart boat yard relationship!
Yeah,
The La Ceiba Boat yard is the only place like it with in Hunderds of Miles. I want A transient slip at a long term price, so I can come and go at will with either my sailboat or my 40 foot dive boat. I am going to look around La Cieba for a New Yanmar and Hire the Yard to install it. Maybe that is a good balance. If I have to import the Yanmar from The states, I have to weigh the cost of shipping more that 200 pounds to central America vs The 12hp 2 cyl. Westerbeke. I really want to know if they have improved the design. I'm thinking that the older westerbekes are problematic and the brand new little marine deisel is worth it's weight. Having the dealer the warranty and the ceritfied machanic that installed right there in the Marina is a plus, but having a Yanmar that does'nt need to be fixed is probably better. I travel back and forth between Miami monthly, so I can bring myself parts from the dealer here. It would be so simple if I new for sure that the new little westy is a great little engine that will run forever. I also wonder if it bounces around like mexican jumping bean at idle.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 04-03-2013 at 10:17 AM.
Old 04-03-2013

capttb is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I don't think you'll find anything in 3 cylinders till you get over the 20 hp mark.
FWIW (not much) I did have a Perkins M18(18hp) early 90's vintage that was a 3 cylinder, might have been a detuned M20.
40' dive boat + 200 lb. crated engine, any chance you can self import ?
Also, A friend that was a baggage handler for an airline used to complain about a weekly red eye to SA that had no limits on checked baggage. So he said people used to wrap suitcases around engines, appliances et al and he had to load them. Maybe a just an airline urban legend now.