Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road
Re: Westerbeke vs Yanmar

Quote:
Originally Posted by capttb View Post
FWIW (not much) I did have a Perkins M18(18hp) early 90's vintage that was a 3 cylinder, might have been a detuned M20.
40' dive boat + 200 lb. crated engine, any chance you can self import ?
Also, A friend that was a baggage handler for an airline used to complain about a weekly red eye to SA that had no limits on checked baggage. So he said people used to wrap suitcases around engines, appliances et al and he had to load them. Maybe a just an airline urban legend now.
I could, and I do self import stuff when I sail down periodically, but the price of fuel and the 1200 mile round trip is more expenxsive than the shipping. I'm relocating the dive boat to Honduras this summer and I'm not buying the engine untill next spring so there is a timing issue. I wish I could just go somewhere and run the little Westerbeke and see how much it jumps around and how accesable stuff is on it. I gotta think in order to stay competive in the marine diesel market they have come up with a good little marine eng. I think the problem before may have been the conversion of a tractor engine to the marine enviroment. They had to, over the years, become aware of the problems people where haveing. Occording to their website, they have put a lot off thought into this new wave of marine diesel's they are putting out. I wish some one who owns a newer 12hp westerbeke would jump on this thread and tell me they love their little eng. I already love Yanmar so it's hard for me to contemplate another eng. It's all a matter of the fore mentioned reasons that I am even considering a Westy.
Old 04-03-2013

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

WB may be using Mitsu engines "now" but that's not quite the same as implying they all are, or were. IIRC some of the older WB engines came from British Leyland and other sources. Could well be that Mitsu made a deal for a better price if they got wider terms for the whole supply.

I'd also ask, are either of the engines you're looking at "self-bleeding" ? I've heard a lot of the WBs are and the Yanmars perversely aren't. Not a deal maker or breaker, but like having good access to the impeller, something worth putting on the list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-03-2013

paul323 is on a distinguished road

My WB 3b3 is self bleeding. Sadly, at 27hp, a bit bigger than Capt. Aaron is looking for.
Old 04-03-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul323 View Post
My WB 3b3 is self bleeding. Sadly, at 27hp, a bit bigger than Capt. Aaron is looking for.
How have you liked the engine? Ya know the Westy 30c 3cyl. 25 hp does'nt look like it's much bigger in size than the 12 hp and it's only 25 pounds heavier. I guess I'd rather make hull sped at 1/2 throttle than need it balls to the wall. My engine 20 years ago was a volvo 18 hp. at 2/3 throttle I was 8 knots in speed. I definatly want out of box new what ever I buy. The westy 25 hp is about 1500 bucks more than the 12hp. Still undecided.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 04-03-2013 at 03:14 PM.
Old 04-03-2013

paul323 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul323 View Post
I have limited experience with Yanmar, but have a Westerbeke 3B3. Works as advertised. Uses about 0.5g/hr @2500. Parts tend to be expensive. The only problem I have had so far was a bad selenoid.

I like the "admiral's panel" they sell.

One factor that has not been mentioned: It was my PO who replaced the old engine; access is the P323 is tight, and folks I know had to cut a vertical support (cosmetic) in the galley area to get the Yanmar engine in. Somehow the yard squeezed the Westerbeke in without cutting (or damage). May not be an issue, but in a tight fit the Westerbeke *may* be smaller??

Finally - a pro like you will have thought of this - my engine is installed backwards (V-drive), but the oil filter is off the engine, conveniently positioned on a bulkhead, and the oil sump drain tube also more conveniently located. Little things like that make a huge difference simplifying servicing.
Kinda sums it up. The v-drive is a peculiarity of my Pearson; kinda messes up engine accessibility, thus moving the oil filter and sump drain. I'll be honest - as somebody else said - they are both good brands, and I don't think there is a lot between them; I think the lack of religious fervor indicates that these powerplants are getting more and more similar as the quirks of smaller diesels have been worked out.

Mine is a WB 3B3, rated 27HP & 3600 rpm, in a 32'13000 lb boat. Preheat button bleeds/primes fuel system and warms up glowplugs. Good luck...
Old 04-03-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Ya, I can't belive a brand new $6800 westerbeke will be toatal peice of sh!t. They all gotta be some what the same now-a-day's. It's leaning again towards Westy 12hp 2cyl. out of the box, installed by the only yard with in 200 miles of me and the best yard with in 600 miles maybe better. I think la Ceiba boat yard is better than any of these dick heads in key West. I have a horror story for each of 'em. And the yanmar Guy in Key west is a peice of sh!t as well. His name is Mark and he works out of Oceanside marina. Every body be ware of that guy, and he know's how I feel ,belive me, I've told him to his face plenty of times.
Old 04-03-2013

misfits is on a distinguished road

I don't know anything about these guys but they're in your neck of the swamp & for 6400 bananas...

Yanmar Diesel Engines
Old 04-03-2013

priscilla is on a distinguished road

That Westerbeke 12D-two is a great little engine, comes with a 50A alternator ( you can opt. for more amps. if you want. Their engine are built Taunton Mass. by Americans ( they import the bare blocks ) all the marine engineering and assembly of components is done there. They also have the best operator and technical manuals in the business.

Over the years I've sailed thousands of miles with Westerbeke engines and currently have a W63 in my boat. Good service an reliabilty.
Old 04-03-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Quote:
Originally Posted by priscilla View Post
That Westerbeke 12D-two is a great little engine, comes with a 50A alternator ( you can opt. for more amps. if you want. Their engine are built Taunton Mass. by Americans ( they import the bare blocks ) all the marine engineering and assembly of components is done there. They also have the best operator and technical manuals in the business.

Over the years I've sailed thousands of miles with Westerbeke engines and currently have a W63 in my boat. Good service an reliabilty.
Thanks, that's what I was thinking. As much as I want a Yanmar, due to where I'll be when I have the money together, I'm going with the local Westerbeke dealer.
Old 04-03-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfits View Post
I don't know anything about these guys but they're in your neck of the swamp & for 6400 bananas...

Yanmar Diesel Engines
Thanks for the link, they have a cargo container hot line. I'll look in to it.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.