Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2013
Bluescruiser

mickeyrouse is on a distinguished road
Westerbeke vs Yanmar

As generally deduced, Westerbeke only marinizes short blocks from real manufacturerd. I have had three. The base engines are strong and reliable, but the parts that Westerbeke adds are where problems will lie: alternators and regulators, water pumps, and especially electrical components. Their wiring is poor grade, as though they didn't know these in engines were being used in boats ON WATER. Connectors are the same poor grade. And while Kubota parts are widely available, they're little if any cheaper. What you are most likely to replace are the parts Westerbeke uses to marinize. Get the credit card ready.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-05-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road
Re: Westerbeke vs Yanmar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyrouse View Post
As generally deduced, Westerbeke only marinizes short blocks from real manufacturerd. I have had three. The base engines are strong and reliable, but the parts that Westerbeke adds are where problems will lie: alternators and regulators, water pumps, and especially electrical components. Their wiring is poor grade, as though they didn't know these in engines were being used in boats ON WATER. Connectors are the same poor grade. And while Kubota parts are widely available, they're little if any cheaper. What you are most likely to replace are the parts Westerbeke uses to marinize. Get the credit card ready.
Is that true today? Or just the way it was? Is a brand new 2013 westy the same as what ever was going on before.That's my dilema.
Old 04-05-2013

misfits is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyrouse View Post
As generally deduced, Westerbeke only marinizes short blocks from real manufacturerd.
And while Kubota parts are widely available, they're little if any cheaper. What you are most likely to replace are the parts Westerbeke uses to marinize. Get the credit card ready.

I think it's safe to say that most companies "marinize" motors today just like they did in the 60's/70's.

The one thing about a Yanmar, it was designed to only be a boat motor.
Old 04-05-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfits View Post
I think it's safe to say that most companies "marinize" motors today just like they did in the 60's/70's.

The one thing about a Yanmar, it was designed to only be a boat motor.
OK, that leans me heavily back to Yanmar. looks like I'll have to import it to Honduras from Miami. I'll feel a lot better about it in the end. I'll just buckle down and save for the next year, add the tax return and do it.
I guess I'd never feel great about buying the Westy and alway's love m Yanmar, Much like the red headed step child effect.
Old 04-05-2013

misfits is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.aaron View Post
OK, that leans me heavily back to Yanmar. looks like I'll have to import it to Honduras from Miami. I'll feel a lot better about it in the end.
I don't think you'll be wrong to go that route. Only reason I'm looking at different manufacturers is the LH rotation thing.

Once you get settled in down there you may find having a Yanmar shipped from somewhere other than the US to be a better deal....

Good luck w/ everything!
Capt.aaron likes this.
Old 04-05-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfits View Post
I don't think you'll be wrong to go that route. Only reason I'm looking at different manufacturers is the LH rotation thing.

Once you get settled in down there you may find having a Yanmar shipped from somewhere other than the US to be a better deal....

Good luck w/ everything!
I had'nt thought of that. The nearest dealer is Cancun, then Miami. I frequent Miami so that will be my first choice. I used to own a bizzness in The Cancun Area, so I've vowed never to do bizzness in Mexico again. But that is another story. If it's 1000 bucks more to have it shipped, it's worth it.
Thanks for the ideas and info every body, I've gone round and round and have settled on the Yanmar....where I began. It seems every engine has a derogitory nick name like westerbleak, I've never heard a Yanmar slander.
Old 04-05-2013

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Having a Yanmar shipped may also be problematic, since Yanmar is quite vigorous about protecting their franchised dealers and discourages them from shipping out of their purchased franchise geography.

The first time I saw a WB I asked what butcher had rebuilt the engine (none had) because I saw the nice red paint slapped all over everything. No other engine manufacturer does that. None of them. And that is, again, because Gates, Goodyear, and all the other rubber companies have always said DO NOT PAINT OUR RUBBER PARTS IT WILL CAUSE THE RUBBER TO BREAK DOWN AND FAIL PREMATURELY.

Really, how hard would it be for WB to just comply with good engineering practice, and install the hoses AFTER painting the rest? The only cheap lazy slob with bad hygiene is the one in the paint department? Eh...I just don't know.

But as folks used to say about British Leyland and Landrovers: You can get it fixed anyplace in the world in just a week. Even in the middle of the bush, you can get anything you need in just a week. And it will still take a whole week, even in the middle of London.

There are pros and cons to anything, pretty much.

What the heck, put out "request for bids" and let them all compete for your business. We know WB can't complain about that, since that's how they already work.

Let the yard you will be moving to know that you haven't decided whether to replace the engine before or after the move, ask them for a bid on the whole job, engine and installation all warrantied by the yard, and see how that stacks up too.
Old 04-05-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Yeah, that painting the hose thing makes a lot of sense. I'm less and less inclined as I learn here, to go Westy. First, I'm not fond of red. It may be the problems I encounter with importing a Yanmar may be worth it.
Old 04-05-2013

paul323 is on a distinguished road

FWIW, my ~5-year old Westy has nice black rubber hoses. Just sayin'. And the metal parts of an engine do need to be painted... you get used to the red...

Clearly some Westy parts are substandard -agreed - notice how everybody who posted replaced their selenoid?

If both engines were there in the dealership, Yanmar would win. Probably for me as well as you - safer choice. If saving some money is pushing you into an engine you won't be happy with, I agree with you, suck up the cost and buy something you can love.

I honestly don't know know if "marinizing" has changed since the 60s - I would like to think it has. Let's face it, a lot of people did a poor job marinizing engines at that time; and most of those companies aren't around any more. What makes it tough is that these engines all last a long while, and the memory of a bad engine 10 or 20 years ago still hurts - even when the company has fixed the problems. Many people still avoid Cetol because it was that awful orange 10+ years ago. So we have a minority of Westy owners, and a lot of heresay.

Are there any dealers who sell both Westerbeke and Yanmar, who could give you an objective, up-to-date perspective? Heck, why not even call Westerbeke directly and ask them some tough questions. Please understand, I am not pushing an agenda here; I just know how expensive and difficult importing can be, and want to give you what first-hand experience I have - good and bad - as a Westy owner.

Of course, you could resolve this whole situation by buying a refurbished Atomic 4 - which I say only partly in jest, as in some situations petrol engines have their place!!
Old 04-05-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Atomic 4. It still amazes me that we still hear reference to them > We had one in the
70's on one of our boats. My Grandfather said he learned how to sail well because of it.
No. I need something that I can store 40 gallons of below deck and motor for day's on a quart an hour. When I meet dudes that have 'em and love 'em, I'm politley silent.
I could ask Westerbeke how their new marine diesel is and and I doubt they will say they suck. I think I'll suck up the initial cost and problems of importing a Yanmar in trade for what seems like will be unavoidable problems with the Westy's inferior design and parts. It amazes me that a company that is going to make a Marine eng. In this day and age bothers to make anything but the best they can do. I will sleep better at night knowing I have a Yanmar that will run till the cows come home. Rather than hanging on every compression like it may be the last,
paul323 likes this.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 04-05-2013 at 05:28 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.