SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Westerbeke vs Yanmar (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/98060-westerbeke-vs-yanmar.html)

Capt.aaron 04-01-2013 06:54 PM

Westerbeke vs Yanmar

I need Westerbeke owners to talk me into not getting a Yanmar. I'm relocating the boat to Honduras and the yard I'll be using is a Westerbeke Dealer. The benefit's of buying from them may trump getting a Yanmar. I have countless experiences with Yanmar and only a little with Westerbeke.
Plaese no one say Volvo, I get naucious when I read or hear that word.

T37Chef 04-01-2013 07:16 PM

Also consider what engine will be the best fit if not a direct replacement. Ultimately that is what sold me in the Beta, their ability to customize the feet for the engine. I did not belive yanmar, westerbeake have that ability. I am not kidding you that the bolt holes for the rear mounts were an exact fit using Betas measurement chart, that equals an easier install quick also equals less $$

just sayin

benesailor 04-01-2013 07:20 PM

Re: Westerbeke vs Yanmar

Volvo......Volvo........Volvo

Did you puke? :)

misfits 04-01-2013 07:29 PM

You might also want to look at the vetus. It's a mitsu block.

Capt.aaron 04-01-2013 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benesailor (Post 1010874)
Volvo......Volvo........Volvo

Did you puke? :)

Almost. There has'nt been an engine in the boat for 20 years. The shaft hole is filled. Fully starting from scrarch. If I get convinced that Westerbeke is a good Eng. I'll buy one, other wise it's def. Yanmar.

Bradhamlet 04-01-2013 07:39 PM

Don't know much about the Westerbeke but my Yanmar is wonderful! Did I help? LOL

Brad
Lancer 36

capttb 04-01-2013 07:49 PM

Drove someone else's boat with a WB just Saturday, it might just be me, but do they seem louder and not as smooth as a YM to others also ?

chucklesR 04-01-2013 07:55 PM

I've had both.
WB was a problem for all five years, fuel system and solenoid/fuel pump issues mostly but the transmission blew the first year too (got it new).

Never had a problem with either Yanmar (20 and now 44) I've owned - total of five years with them.

Sabreman 04-01-2013 08:29 PM

I had a WB13 in or '82 Sabre 28 and a WB33 in our '84 Sabre 38. Great engines, but part prices will kill you. I use Fram filters and Vitus water pumps.... basically anything that I can get from a source other than WB. With that said, they're reliable engines that require minimal work if maintained. The only stuff to go wrong with either engine were normal wear items. Items that I replaced in addition to filters & belts:

Raw Water Pump
Fresh Water Pump
Exchanger end caps
Starter Solenoid
Total Hose Replacement.
Transmission drain crush ring

Not bad for old engines

Capt.aaron 04-01-2013 08:52 PM

It's 1 for Yanmar and 1 for Westerbeke, one guy I trust say's his sucked and one guy I trust say's his was reliable. I know Yanmar is reliable, my buddy's brand new Yanmar had a transmision fail it's first year, so that could be just dumb luck. I'm moving my boat to la Ceiba boat yard. They are now a Westerbeke dealer. I gues I would have to import the Yanmar. I want a lot from them other than the engine and it would be a good long term buisness move on my part to buy and have them install it, but I just can't decide. They are English right? That's a point against them. Maybe if I have La Ceiba Boat Yard import and install a Yanmar for me it will be enough of a gesture?