Blister repair without drying the hull - EpoxyUSA "Bliscoat" system - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-01-2013

afrinus is on a distinguished road
Blister repair without drying the hull - EpoxyUSA "Bliscoat" system

I'm preparing to pull my boat for what I believe is the first time in more than 5 years out of the water (I've owned her for about 18 months now).
Lots of prepping for the complete gamut of bottom jobs, compounding, polishing, waxing etc.

As I wont have a lot of time to get all the work done, I'm making sure I dont need to run around shopping last minute.

For that purpose, I'm also getting the material needed to do any blister repair if needed (Dont burst my bubble here , but diving on the boat I've not been able to find any blisters....here's to hoping that being prepared ......)

I've found a write-up on repairing blisters without waiting for weeks for the hull to dry out, called "Bliscoat"

Anyone heard of this? Is this legitimate?

Here's an excerpt from the site describing why it's not necessary to dry out...
What about drying out the hull?

Blisters are caused by chemicals in the polyester resins that are not completely reacted and have an affinity for water molecules — literally pulling the water into the hull (much like some of the blistering of paints and coatings). There is always some water vapor in any hull. No non-metallic hull is completely impermeable, but when the resins are completely reacted that water vapor has no effect. Long dry-out periods will reduce the water vapor content of your hull, although the actual benefit might be insignificant.

The boat yards I'm aware of simply grind out the entire blister and patch the area, all within a few days using fiberglass cloth and high quality epoxy resins.

With our blister repair system you open the blisters and flush out the chemical/resin/water filling them. Rather than completely grinding out ALL the weakened fiberglass (no reason why you cannot do this) we're stabilizing the remaining weakened fiberglass with our water displacing epoxies. These epoxies can literally be applied underwater. They ‘push' the water away — the path of least resistance is the open blister. Even if left within the hull the water mini-droplet (without the unreacted resins) shouldn't cause a blister or create any problem.

In short, we believe our system is a quick, adequate method for dealing with hull blisters and one that even inexperienced and impatient boat owners can easily master.
Am I wasting my money or is this real?

I will strip off all old paint (using Soy-strip) , repair any blisters if needed, barrier coat with Pettite epoxy and then paint with Pettite SR (The boat lives in the south in fresh water)

Pete

Last edited by afrinus; 04-01-2013 at 09:50 PM. Reason: deleted a wayward word...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-01-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Re: Blister repair without drying the hull - EpoxyUSA "Bliscoat" system

Yeah...no.

First, determine whether you hull even has the pox. If so, the most time consuming part is opening all of the blisters, and then fairing the hull after all the blisters are filled. Once a blister is opened, it doesn't take long to dry in decent weather. need to dry faster? Get out a heat gun and blwo dry your hull. In any event, filling wet blisters is not a big time saver, compared to the rest of the process, and the funny thing about wonder cures is that they often cause other problems, such as incompatibility with other fillers.

Mr. Oman is a one man shop with no R and D department. he makes all sorts of claims on his homemade code-slinging -like- it's -1999 website. if you want repackaged epoxy cheap, he's a fine source. if you want to try something that defies, to a certain extent, time tested conventional wisdom, this guy is no Gougeon Brothers.
Besides, I'm not seeing much time savings. From the website:

Hull Blister Repair Options - Fiberglass Boat Repair - Boat Pox

"The Blis-Coat System consists of the following steps:

1) Open up the blister and remove the mostly heavily damaged surrounding fiberglass using a metal file bit (rasp bit) with an electric drill. As the blisters are generally filled with liquid expect a mushy mass of fiberglass dust to fill the area. Suitable protection should be taken to shield exposed skin, mouth, eyes, throat from the resulting fiberglass particles that this drilling/grinding will release.

2) Thoroughly flush the blisters with water either from a water-blaster unit or garden hose. The object is to remove any residual chemical contaminants as well as fiberglass and resin dust.

3) You may wish to repeat the grinding and washing step above until you are personally satisfied with how well you have opened each blister and removed the worst of the fiberglass damage.

4) Let the blisters dry so that all obvious loose droplets and signs of moisture have evaporated..

5) Using our thin water-displacing, two-part epoxy resin (Low V) and a paint brush vigorously rub/brush/push/swab resin into each opened blister. Work quickly, pot life is about 20 minutes. This special epoxy will displace any trapped water (literally bonding and curing underwater if necessary) and penetrate any loose or open fiberglass around the blister. Let cure overnight or longer.

6) Patch and fill in the blisters, as well as any other necessary boat bottom repairs, with our WET DRY 700 epoxy putty. Fill the blisters using a putty knife or plastic edger. Perform any final filling/sanding/smoothing over the blisters in preparation for applying anti-fouling paint or optional barrier coat (see our products page for barrier coat epoxies)."

So, let me see, this stuff works under water, according to the company's own marketing hype, but then, see step 4?

Repeatedly wet the hull, then let the hull dry... seems like it will likely take more time, not less.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-02-2013

afrinus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Repeatedly wet the hull, then let the hull dry... seems like it will likely take more time, not less.
LOL - Snake oil you think....

I guess I should know better - most of my "short cuts" do tend to end in a lot more $$ and time....
Old 04-02-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

In cases like this the sun is your friend. Nothing dries out things like sunlight heating a surface. when we did my boat's bottom, I was lucky in that my club's lower yard is like a big reflector oven.

My boat is for sale.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-02-2013

lancelot9898 is on a distinguished road

If this epoxy displaces water....where does the water go?
Old 04-02-2013

tommays will become famous soon enough

In short, we believe our system is a quick, adequate method for dealing with hull blisters and one that even inexperienced and impatient boat owners can easily master.

In my read the purpose of the hose is to flush the chemical residue ?

Unless your planning to leave the hull in and indoor heated shop with some level of environmental control how dry do you really think it is going to get ?

It rains here every 3 to 5 days and the humidity is well ABOVE the % your looking to find in dry fiberglass

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat