Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-05-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road
Re: GPS and other displays, pedestal mount or other?

I don't like having a huge amount of clutter on the pedestal, but a single MFD and autopilot control isn't so bad. Set it up low and out of the way. It bugs me that my Raymarine MFD can't fully control the autopilot because the idea setup would only have the single MFD screen on the pedestal.

When I'm sailing I'm not standing behind the pedestal that often. It's more comfortable to sit on the windward side where I can easily reach the sheets and wheel. The pedestal doesn't block my view at all there.

When I'm docking I tend to stand up on the rear bench seat, so I'm way over the pedestal. It also doesn't block my view there.

The pedestal provides an easy thing to hide wires in. My boat doesn't have a good way to hide cables routed to the cabin top.
Old 04-05-2013
But if not...

paperbird is on a distinguished road

Interesting thread. I very much appreciate hearing others' points of view. I'm in the same decision process regarding where to mount a chartplotter (with radar overlay).

Key factors I've settled on:
- most of the time Otto will be driving and we'll be siting in the cockpit to the side and slightly in front of the helm
- going in and out of harbors, one of us will be driving and so will want the chartplotter close at hand and viewable from the helm

Like others have said, the companionway is too far from the helm for when entering harbors when it's most critical.

My current thinking (subject to change of course) is to mount the chartplotter on a swivel arm on the side of the pedestal. Turn it facing aft for when standing at the helm; turn it facing sideways for when sitting in the cockpit. Still looking for the right hardware choices to do the mounting.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-05-2013

jsaronson is on a distinguished road

C&C 35 E7, wind and autopilot in pod. E7 gets depth and AIS.
Attached Thumbnails
GPS and other displays, pedestal mount or other?-phototheofice2.jpg  
Old 04-06-2013

peterchech is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperbird View Post

My current thinking (subject to change of course) is to mount the chartplotter on a swivel arm on the side of the pedestal. Turn it facing aft for when standing at the helm; turn it facing sideways for when sitting in the cockpit. Still looking for the right hardware choices to do the mounting.
Interesting idea.

Although we are planning a Bermuda trip for next summer, my father also uses the boat for cruising the sound and Nantucket etc, so keeping an eye out for schoals and entering harbors is important.

One concern we have is that we will be setting up e radar and ais to beep at a contact while on our trip, and the beeping may not be audible at the companionway if the displays are back at the pedestal. Same with the autopilot wind shift alarm...
Old 04-06-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

The two functions we like having at the helm are the chart-plotter/GPS and the auto-pilot control. The other instruments, Wind, Speed and Depth, we like having forward so they are easily seen by everyone in the cockpit so that the helmsman can ask cockpit crew to watch the depth or wind while the driver focuses on steering and staying within channels etc. Whereas I occasionally have to single-hand (or effectively single hand while the off-watch crew is sleeping below), the helm mounted instruments are in "pods" that can be rotated 270ļ so they can be seen by a crew forward of the helm as well as aft when necessary. Unlike many, I do not see the need for huge chart-plotter displays at the helm and have found 5" screens quite adequate (although we have a very large display at the navigation table) which simplifies their installation and ability to be rotated. The newer systems, (such as the GPSMap 3205 we recently installed) and even more so the newer also have the capability of displaying AIS Data and radar if one connects them to one's helm displays.
Attached Thumbnails
GPS and other displays, pedestal mount or other?-sloboat-kw.jpg   GPS and other displays, pedestal mount or other?-small-cockpit-1.jpg  
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."

Last edited by svHyLyte; 04-06-2013 at 04:00 PM.
Old 04-06-2013
Puget Sound Pounder

kellysails is on a distinguished road

PYI SeaView built this as a prototype for my boat. I think they are now in production with the unit. It rotates, very nice. I built the stainless tubing around the pod using standard elbows and cutdown tubes. While the pod is sturdy you do need to protect it. I think people might grab the pod to gain their balance in the cockpit. So it needs to be protected.

Below this pod is my chart plotter that also swivels. I love this setup.

Last edited by kellysails; 04-06-2013 at 11:45 AM.