Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Re: Repair 4 hp two stroke ?

Y'know, somebody needs to write a "Outboards for the Compleat Idiot"type manual. Those of you who have spent any serous time wrenching on VWs knows what i am talking about;
bristol299bob likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-07-2013
sunfish?junior?

Lou452 is on a distinguished road

The 4R77B makes it a 1977 ? The compression was 60 lbs The exciter coil must be good. It is what lights up the test light at the connection plug. I am not sure about a ground kill it must work from a point at the throttle. Thanks again, Lou
Old 04-08-2013
Banned

dabnis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou452 View Post
The 4R77B makes it a 1977 ? The compression was 60 lbs The exciter coil must be good. It is what lights up the test light at the connection plug. I am not sure about a ground kill it must work from a point at the throttle. Thanks again, Lou
60lbs? Not sure what the spec is? but it sounds a little low? Maybe squirt a little light oil in the plug hole and try it again? I think you said you were getting a weak spark from each plug? If all the wiring reads good with an ohm meter you may have bad ignition coils, but that may be a stretch?

Let us know what you find.

Paul T
Old 04-15-2013
sunfish?junior?

Easy come easy go. They want it back. I have it running in a 55 gal drum sounds good one pull to start it.
I pulled the coils out and checked the coils with a ohm meter. I found some info on this Iboat forum that gave values for the primary 1-2 ohms and secondary 6-8 ohms This engine showed 12 ohms on the secondary? As I said me and wires do not mix. I have know idea what I am doing.
I checked the spark when I put the coils back and it was a little bit better but not a bright blue but a strong yellow and shooting of the plug sides. I cleaned the plugs up this helped the "fire" still not blue.
I checked the compression once more both holes plugs out 60 lbs One of you said to do this It seemed to help the sound.
I noticed the mix Lean rich dials not balanced so I set them to the middle.
Pulled the rope a few times and the pay off came on pull 5-7
Now it will start in one if it is warm.
Lake test Sat I think
The motor has been recalled so it seems. Not a loss to me as it came to me for free. I now have a little bit of an idea what is going on and how to work on one. That's a plus
I wish to thank all of you that gave me an ear and some help Kind Regards, Lou
Old 04-16-2013
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou452 View Post
Easy come easy go. They want it back. I have it running in a 55 gal drum sounds good one pull to start it.
I pulled the coils out and checked the coils with a ohm meter. I found some info on this Iboat forum that gave values for the primary 1-2 ohms and secondary 6-8 ohms This engine showed 12 ohms on the secondary? As I said me and wires do not mix. I have know idea what I am doing.
I checked the spark when I put the coils back and it was a little bit better but not a bright blue but a strong yellow and shooting of the plug sides. I cleaned the plugs up this helped the "fire" still not blue.
I checked the compression once more both holes plugs out 60 lbs One of you said to do this It seemed to help the sound.
I noticed the mix Lean rich dials not balanced so I set them to the middle.
Pulled the rope a few times and the pay off came on pull 5-7
Now it will start in one if it is warm.
Lake test Sat I think
The motor has been recalled so it seems. Not a loss to me as it came to me for free. I now have a little bit of an idea what is going on and how to work on one. That's a plus
I wish to thank all of you that gave me an ear and some help Kind Regards, Lou
Now that you are a little more familiar with 2 strokes, perhaps you could find a good used one on Craigslist or equivalent?

Paul T
Old 04-17-2013
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road

For future reference: Did you check for rust on the magnets on the inside of the flywheel? If they have a coating of rust on them it will impair the spark. Sitting around for a while can cause this. A cleaning with some emery cloth can perform wonders on these little 2 strokes.

Down
Old 04-17-2013
sunfish?junior?

I did not remove the fly wheel as I felt like the spark from the under the fly wheel was good. I had unplugged some wires going to the coil packs that came from under the fly wheel. At that point I used a test light and it would flash bright and full with each pull. Even a slow gentle pull.
I think the removing the coils and putting them back on and cleaning the plugs that did not seem fouled made it better. The coils might not have been getting a good ground ? They are still over the Ohm range of 6-8 ohms that I found on the other boating forum. These coils both showed 12 ohms. A real electrician, not me checked 12 ohms. I can use an ohm meter like a novice. Understanding values not really.. 12 is half again 8 and 8 is 3/4 of 12 Seems like 12 ohms is way to high ? I put the coils back on and the spark was better.
Oil down the plug holes did nothing for the spark but it is a fine line that makes an engine go. Once she hit she got much better. She was a sleepy puppy. Now she is ready to play.
I have had some 2 stroke dirt bikes and 4 stroke I have no battle as to what is the best they both have a + and a -
Electronics are a mystery to me. I tip my hat to the ones that have skill. They get a good laugh at me but always help me to find the trouble. I try and I just stay at it long enough that I find the fault by will power.
It was my first outboard engine fix. I grew up on lake Erie and the inboard or inboard/ outboard is more my limited fixer upper
I wish I did not have to give it back but like I said learning about it was great reward.
Regards, Lou
Old 04-17-2013
sunfish?junior?

[QUOTE=dabnis;1017160]Now that you are a little more familiar with 2 strokes, perhaps you could find a good used one on Craigslist or equivalent?

This part of KY. is not a hot spot for boats. I might find one but the odds are not good. I am blessed to have sailnet mates to help me. Regards, Lou
Old 04-18-2013
Aspiring to be a Mexican

sww914 is on a distinguished road

I was pretty sure that I was making a mistake when I bought a 20 year old 2-stroke Nissan 9.9 with almost no hours on it. I really wanted a new 4-stroke.
I was wrong. I am one of few around here who's engine always starts on the first pull. I am one of few who can both plane the dinghy with 3 people in it and be able to carry the outboard around by myself.
My only mistake was doubting my decision.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-18-2013
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sww914 View Post
I was pretty sure that I was making a mistake when I bought a 20 year old 2-stroke Nissan 9.9 with almost no hours on it. I really wanted a new 4-stroke.
I was wrong. I am one of few around here who's engine always starts on the first pull. I am one of few who can both plane the dinghy with 3 people in it and be able to carry the outboard around by myself.
My only mistake was doubting my decision.
I recently bought a new 6HP 4 stroke Tohatsu for my fishing boat. The reason I bought a 4 stroke is that carburettor equipped 2 strokes are not allowed on Lake Tahoe. Some time back a bill was introduced to ban 2 strokes on any body of water that eventually ended up in a water supply. The bill was defeated, but not by much, IIRC. I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see that bill re-introduced again.

I have had many 2 strokes and would have bought a new one except for the above.

Paul T

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.