SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   cleaning up after our fine feathered friends (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/98156-cleaning-up-after-our-fine-feathered-friends.html)

jhgreen 04-05-2013 11:00 AM

cleaning up after our fine feathered friends

I was hoping some knew a good way to cleanup after birds decided to roost on spreaders I have tried boat soap and a cleaning spray niether have worked to the standard i wanted still see the white marks on my blue deck
I was wonder what worked for others

benesailor 04-05-2013 11:52 AM

Re: cleaning up after our fine feathered friends

I have a horrendous barn swallow problem and my boat is carpet bombed daily. I have used soft scrub with bleach on my white deck with good results. Then i wax the hell out of it to keep it clean.
Next step is to hire mercenaries with shot guns.

Faster 04-05-2013 12:20 PM

Running some small SS seizing wire or monofilament between upper shroud(s) and mast a couple of inches above the spreaders should discourage the 'roosting' and reduce the cleaning requirement...

jimgo 04-05-2013 12:23 PM

I'm told plastic owls work well, but you need to move them around periodically or the birds learn that they aren't real.

Faster 04-05-2013 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimgo (Post 1012620)
I'm told plastic owls work well, but you need to move them around periodically or the birds learn that they aren't real.

Seen those fake owls covered in bird poop.... but sometimes they miss ;)

Rubber snakes are also touted as effective, but I doubt they would deter a seagull at 30 feet...

I've seen a string full of CDrom discs hung above the sailcover to try to keep them clean too.. probably works for roosting but not air drops...

tommays 04-05-2013 01:29 PM

I am installing a raw water wash-down pump as we speak as Northport is near a large Seabird nesting area and NOTHING STOPS them in season :)

Its mind boggling what they can do to a boat they really take a liking to

rhr1956 04-05-2013 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhgreen (Post 1012566)
I was hoping some knew a good way to cleanup after birds decided to roost on spreaders I have tried boat soap and a cleaning spray niether have worked to the standard i wanted still see the white marks on my blue deck
I was wonder what worked for others

Based where they seem to like to poop on my boat (my blue sail cover) I would recommend painting the deck white. It's the BLUE color they targeting!

jhgreen 04-05-2013 04:06 PM

cleaning up after our fine feathered friends

Thanks for the ideas i just got new blue sail covers because my green one were destroyed

CapnChuck 04-05-2013 06:26 PM

We tried every conceivable method of keeping birds away and nothing worked. We finally gave up and covered all of the sunbrella with cheap plastic tarps to protect them. We had one bimini completely ruined. Chuck

ereiss 04-05-2013 10:02 PM

To clean the sh!t try Poop-off. Sold in pet supply stores to clean bird cages. Really works.