SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Towing a RIB

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  hamiam 
#1 ·
I recently purchased an Aria 10'' RIB made by AB. Unlike my Zodiac which had a total of 3 tow rings on the bow (one in the dead center and one off to either side) she only has a single tow ring in the center that is anchored to the hull. Any tips for towing her? With The Zodiac I would use 2 long docklines, criss-cross them and cleat them to separate cleats near the stern. This way I could control where she tracked. Perhaps the RIB will track better given the solid hull and its shape. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

#3 ·
Thanks, I called the company and they gladly offered to sell me the necessary d-rings. What a joke. Im pissed. What idiots make an inflatable without towing rings. I wish I had noticed that before as this really puts a kink in our weekend plans.

#4 ·
I have had a Carib 10X RIB for almost 10 years. The bow eye works great for towing. Inspect it now and then..If its well built you should have no problem.
BTW : my friend has the same RIB and he glued the D-rings on. No difference in towing ability.
I also attach a safety line very loosely to one of the davit eyes just in case the line lets go when towing in open water

#5 ·
I have a 16ft zodiac w/ 50HP outboard and have towed it weekly for 7 years with only the bow eye. I tow with a fairly short floating tow line, and run a second line from a cleat on the tender''s bow. The second line is a good back up, and it also keeps the bow down in waves. It tracks fine. I haven''t towed in more than 6 foot seas, nor would I recommend it.

I learned the hard way about the second line, noticing a tender that looked a lot like mine a mile away with no one on it -- and in the busy shipping channel. hummmmm. What fool.....?

#6 ·
I have not tried to tow her from the bow ring but i was told 2 things; 1. that the bow ring lacks the strength necessary and will rip out and 2. that she will no track well using the one attachment point. I guess i can try it out and see what happens.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.