Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By sailordave
  • 1 Post By paulk

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2013

sailordave is on a distinguished road
A special place in HELL for those who....

put SS fasteners in Aluminum w/o TEFGEL et al.

Since my mast is down I've been doing all sorts of cool (expensive) things to it. New halyards, LED Tri/anchor, etc. Thought I'd better look at the spreader tips and sure enough the SS screws had that telltale white powdery dust that can only come from electrolysis in Aluminum. Damn people who don't use some kind of dielectric grease in these applications.

Almost as bad as those who use 5200 on things that you may want to take apart later.
rugosa likes this.
Old 04-06-2013

paulk is on a distinguished road
Re: A special place in HELL for those who....

Don't blame them! Back when they put those screws in, rain was less acidic, so the electrolysis (if any) was less pronounced and took much longer to occur than it does now. How could they have known how bad it would get? Besides, why would you want to ever change your spreader tips? They probably didn't have 5200 when they built the boat, and were maybe COUNTING on electrolysis to make sure nothing ever got loose up there. Their way of trying to save future owners any hassle or additional costs without relying on futuristic goop.
henrysailor likes this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-07-2013
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

Actually acid rain 30 years ago was worse than now and they knew about the potential problem. I just think that it never occurred to them that people would want to take it apart so far in the future.
Back to Grenada in early December. Not sure I will remember how to sail. Will spend the winter and early spring in the Caribbean and then head to Bermuda and the northeast US. Still trying to decide if we will bring the boat to Canada, either in 2015 or 2016.
Old 04-07-2013

rugosa is on a distinguished road

Ask Maine or Boat Poker - Production boats, mass (for sailboats anyway) commissionings, preventative maintenance was not among many builder's priorities then, maybe not now.
Old 04-07-2013

Shinook is on a distinguished road

I had the same problem when we had our mast down. Some of the bolts were so badly corroded that I had to twist them apart just to get them out. That took a lot of effort to say the least. We only replaced a few at the time, our mast is coming down again in the fall to replace all of them and put corrosion inhibitors on everything (I didn't know about them at the time I replaced the last few).

OTOH a few came out pretty easily and didn't show significant signs of corrosion aside from a small ring of white around where the bolt was in the mast. I'm not sure if this means they used something to inhibit corrosion or if it's just coincidence, but it definitely seemed like some areas were more prone to corrosion than others.

The one I had a particular problem with was the sheave bolt, which was actually frozen in place and covered in some kind of salt residue. I had to break the bolt out of the masthead and knock the sheaves out. Almost all the boats in the masthead were in the same type of state.

The bolts in the mast itself were a different story though. We replaced the bolts holding the upper shrouds and I could hammer them both out without a problem.

It makes me wonder why one area was so difficult but not the others. My assumption was that the saltwater in the masthead came from wet halyards and everything there was more exposed to corrosion as a result. I'd love a better explanation if anyone has one, though.

Last edited by Shinook; 04-07-2013 at 10:17 AM.
Old 04-07-2013

sailordave is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugosa View Post
Ask Maine or Boat Poker - Production boats, mass (for sailboats anyway) commissionings, preventative maintenance was not among many builder's priorities then, maybe not now.
Yeah, I know. And the fact of the matter is it has lasted this long. (although it does look like some of them have been replaced) The originals were just short little self tapping SS screws. I guess I should be glad that the build quality on CS boats is such that even at 23 years of age the boat is in pretty good condition.
Old 04-07-2013

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Rust, the poor man's Loctite.

Actually, one reason the Japanese ate Detroit's lunch was because they specified some type of coating, either a lock or an antiseize, on almost every threaded part in the cars. And as a result didn't have a thousand squeaks and rattles and loose nuts.

Detroit caught on, begrudging the expense, a bit too late.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.