SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Busted Navpod (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/98217-busted-navpod.html)

Ritchard 04-07-2013 10:02 AM

Busted Navpod

Good morning,

In the ongoing drama of my second winter of refitting Ariel, I had a problem yesterday. I briefly lost my balance in the cockpit, and reached out to catch myself before plunging into an open locker. What I grabbed was my large navpod, but only the rear part of it, the front part is in my basement being reconfigured.

I managed to crack off the corner of the blastedly expensive thing. Does anyone know what kind of plastic they are made of, and what kind of adhesive would make the best repair? Strength, cosmetics, UV tolerant, etc?

Thank you, your clumsy friend,

R

CapnChuck 04-07-2013 10:06 AM

Re: Busted Navpod

R, it depends on which manufacturer yours was made by. I have found the West System will repair most of them. I mix a little white awlgrip in the epoxy and it blends well. For some other plastic items, Superglue has done the trick. Chuck

Alex W 04-07-2013 10:35 AM

Rears (or entire units with unusable fronts) are somewhat easier to find used for good prices, since NavPod doesn't sell the front portion by itself and the fronts end up with holes in the wrong place for new equipment. Is there a used boating equipment store in town?

P424 04-07-2013 11:15 AM

try a little MEK with a Qtip (in a spot it wont show) if its ABS plastic it will melt it enough to allow 2 edges to stick together. Like gluing a model it can form a weld.

hellosailor 04-07-2013 03:17 PM

R-
Probably best to call or email Ocean Engineering to make sure what plastic they used in your particular model. 949-588-1470.

If it is a clean break, crazy glue might be fine, but most plastics will distort when they break they way and crazy glue will not fill the resulting mismatch. Could be a little Marinetex (precolored epoxy putty) or for a clean result, maybe putting a little support inside the broken part and then gluing back down over it (the same way you'd put a sheetrock patch on a hole) might be more durable, and waterproof, and neater.

Oaksail 04-07-2013 06:44 PM

Busted Navpod

I was told they are made from PVC.

jimrafford 04-07-2013 08:56 PM

I have a new nav pod you can have if it will work for you. I purchased it on ebay and realized after the mount width was incorrect for my boat. I think the binacle supports are 9" on center if I remember correctly.
Jim

Ritchard 04-07-2013 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimrafford (Post 1013455)
I have a new nav pod you can have if it will work for you. I purchased it on ebay and realized after the mount width was incorrect for my boat. I think the binacle supports are 9" on center if I remember correctly.
Jim

Very generous of you, my pedestal guard is a 12", so no good.

I just realized that the front piece is home to be trimmed, I will try a couple of adhesives on the trimmings.

Luckily it's a very clean break, the pieces fit together perfectly. It was cold so I think it snapped rather than deformed.

Thanks for all the input. I contacted the manufacturer, asking for the kind of adhesive, they wanted pictures. I don't know why.

hellosailor 04-08-2013 10:17 AM

Pictures: They probably changed materials over the years, or used different ones for different branded products. If you don't have a cell phone, you can always fax the polaroid to them. (G)

Ritchard 04-09-2013 07:27 PM

Hellosailor is right about the pix.

I have been communicating with the PRESIDENT of Ocean Equipment, who has made a very generous offer of sending me a replacement back for a tempting discount. My Pod is not longer current, so I guess they have some old inventory they'd be happy to part with. I still think my best option is to try glueing it up, and if that fails, I can order the replacement.

That the President of the company answered my questions makes me think that this company takes client care very seriously. I would be quite prepared to deal with a company like that in the future.

So the thing is ABS, apparently. I don't want to use plumbing solvent as it is yellow, and hard to work with, I was thinking about white exterior grade silicone. Glue it up, and I can shave off the squeeze-out with a razor afterward. I have used silicone as adhesive (not on boats) lots of times. Thoughts?

Edit to add: Apparently you can solvent weld it with Methylene Chloride, and I happen to have a can of that left over from making up a plexiglass companionway door. The smallest can the vendor sells is about a half litre. The companionway door took maybe 3cc.