Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Mildew in the Cabin

Im with the Chef, Kanaberra Gel. Since using it starting 3 years agvo not one drop of mildew. I thin Minniewaska will also agree with this also.

Dave
T37Chef and Minnewaska like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-07-2013

Wayne25 is on a distinguished road

Bounce dryer sheets in storage compartments and under the cushions.
1976 #552
Old 04-07-2013

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodda View Post
One winter storage cheap solution is kitty litter in buckets or pans (the more surface area the better) in all the cabins. Even sealed up the boat can start the season with no mildew to cleanup. We also remove all fabrics, cushions, etc.

But you may be driving for solutions that work while commissioned, we haven't had much problem with that up here.
Just driving for ideas worth testing side-by-side, and many have been offered. Good.

Kitty litter works by buffering the humidity and keeping it stable. We tested the silica gel type and found it to be the most economical product of it's type. An hour in the oven at 250F gets it ready for re-use, year after year.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

Old 04-08-2013

Tempest is on a distinguished road

For winter storage,

I strip all the cushions and any soft goods off the boat, I have racks at home in the basement for everything.

Keep water out of the bilge.. with the mast down it's not a problem, with the mast up, I get some water intrusion into the bilge. I have a bolt that I can remove in my bilge that allows the most of the water to run out through the centerboard trunk. I pump out any residual every couple of weeks and air the boat out.

after stipping everything, I've been applying lemon oil to the bare surfaces. I leave all the drawers and lockers open, remove the floorboards etc. So far, so good.

In season, It hasn't been an issue.

I'll look into the kanberra gels, and sprays.
Old 04-08-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Im with the Chef, Kanaberra Gel. Since using it starting 3 years agvo not one drop of mildew. I thin Minniewaska will also agree with this also.

Dave
Yup, started a thread on this stuff a few years back when I first heard of it. I reload twice a year now. Just ordered the spring supply.

I'm not sure it will kill a runaway colony that got a head start, but it does a nice job of keeping it from coming back. They make a spray now, I wonder how that works for cleaning? I've found, for it to work best, you need to limit air exchange for a period of time.

The active ingredient is tea tree oil and the manufacturer explains why theirs is worth the month. Here's the link to the thread here:

Kanberra gel

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 04-08-2013
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

i clean my boat with vinegar without any problem of smelling like vinegar--which, btw, is a lot better than dying of black mold.....
mold in material is the key to dispo-ing that material as the fabric will disintigrate from the mold and mildew.
pricey chemicals labelled anti mold anti mildew are very harsh on asthmatic lungs....not to mention the short term only capoacity for killing mold--they do not address spores. vinegar changes pH to acid and the spores do not grow in acid.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

Old 04-08-2013
Always tired

One is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusc130 View Post
It smells like vinegar..... Forever.
Yes, and just when you think it stops smelling, it gets just a little bit moist or wet, and there it is again.
Old 04-08-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

I think the key here is that PS is trying to find solutions for mold on fabrics in the cabin, while I think many of us have focused on mold that is on headliners or on the hull. I've had success in using a combination of vinegar and tea tree oil, along with a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser (or the knock-offs of those). You just have to remember to shake the vinegar and oil, otherwise you wind up only spraying the vinegar. As mentioned elsewhere, the vinegar changes the pH, so the mold can't grow, and the tea tree oil kills the mold.

Now, ridding yourself of the mold stains, that's another story entirely!
1975 Albacore 15

Old 04-08-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

The big thing for me was finding the source of moisture in my boat. I had a persistent small puddle of water on the floor of the head that took me months to track down. It turned out to be a very slow leak in one of the hot water heater lines that would drip a bit as long as the system was pressurized.

Once I fixed that I got a very dry boat and mildew stopped being an issue.

I did wipe down all of my hard surfaces with a tea-tree oil containing spray. I mixed in another ounce of pure tea tree oil (not cheap stuff) to make it stronger. I like how tea tree oil smells, so it at least made the boat smell nicely and killed existing mildew, but I can't say if it did anything about new mildew.

We do sail it about once a week, that helps.
Old 04-08-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Ewh, moldy fabric.

Washing machine, hot water, repeat every couple weeks?

Seriously, I'd bet spraying it with colloidal silver solution would work. Or tea tree oil, or any of the other antifungals. With porous natural fabrics, crud is supposed to infest them in a damp environment.

If you've ever sniffed tea tree oil right out of the bottle, I'm not sure that having it disperse to be breathed in a closed space is a great idea. We all do worse but still, it is an irritant.

What I can't figure is how Kanberra can sell it as a bio-active product (mildecide, fungicide) without getting flack from the EPA, who genearlly get upset about any claims like that without an EPA certification attached. Maybe because it is "organic" ?
One likes this.