Not a Member? 
Old 04-08-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Re: Painting Topsides -- Gnarly Hurricane Dock Rash

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniperGirl View Post
... snip ...
PS: She rode Sandy through at the 79th Street Boat Basin, on the Hudson River in Manhattan. It was rough - all the marinas clear up the river are still in recovery from the storm surge. Lot of damaged and missing boats - it was a nail biter night for everyone. I feel very lucky.
You can say that again!
My boat rode out Sandy on a mooring up the Hudson near the Tappan Zee bridge. Twenty out of 100 moored boats were totaled. Somehow our old girl came through in one piece.

Good luck with your deck painting!

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-08-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
Why on earth would she have non skid on the topsides?
If you sail your boat hard enough, the topside become the deck.

chef2sail, MarkSF and timtim like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 04-08-2013

CapnRon47 is on a distinguished road

I am going to hijack this thread with a shaggy dog story (about paint) with apologies to the OP.

I purchased our sailboat 'Heron' in 2008 from the original owner in CT. She came with a brilliant recent Awlgrip topsides job among many other great attributes. We sailed her to NC that year where we live. For Hurricane Irene (2011) I anchored 'Heron' in our creek with 2 anchors and lines to 2 trees. I stripped everything off the boat and sealed her up tight. She did just fine riding out the storm (which hit right in our area and went right over us). However, she did receive some 'cosmetic' scratches to the Awlgrip topsides from debris. I lived with them for a year, but this year decided to have them fixed during a haul out for bottom paint, prop treatment and other items. They masked off the area, filled the scratches and sanded everything smooth.

Then the fun began. We first tried Awlgrip 'Whisper Grey,' but that did not match it was too light. So then we tried Awlgrip 'Kingston Grey,' it was too dark. So finally I called the Milford Boat Works, (absolutely great people and wonderfully helpful) and asked if they remember the color she was painted (in 2006). Yes, it is a custom Awlgrip color, 'Landon Blue!' And, they have some left, but they cannot ship it too us as UPS would require them to have a HAZMAT license which they really do not intend to purchase. So we went back to our paint supplier and asked them to mix up a quart of 'Landon Blue.' First, they claimed there is no-such color, but we were able to convince them to talk to Milford (did I mention they are great people) and dig up the formula for that paint. Which they did and sent us off a quart within a week (which is great for custom paint), except it did not match, the Blue in the can would not mix with the Grey in the can and so it came out Grey. Well, that must have just been a bad batch, so we sent off for another quart from a different supplier. It too came out much too Grey with too little Blue. Finally, we went back to Milford Boat Works (great people) and asked them to ask their paint supplier, who supplied the original paint, to mix us a quart. Well, they did and sent it to us (weeks are going by now) and it came out t o o blue! Going back to Awlgrip they said, no problem, just send us a 2" x 2" chip from the hull with the color on it and they will match it! Ain't gonna happin! So back to Milford (just wonderful people) and I asked them to send me a 4" x 6" card with the paint from their can on it, so at least I can see if it does match.

I received the card today and IT IS A GOOD MATCH, at least the best we have had so far. So I have 2 options; I can see if I can find someone brave enough to attempt to send me a quart of paint (which they can get from those wonderful people at Milford) thru the mail or UPS in such as way that it does not present a HAZMAT concern ( or knowledge thereof) or I can send a piece of my 4x6 card with the right color off to Awlgrip and have them try and match it. I am hopeful that one of these approaches will succeed sometime before June, because we really would like to sail in the Leukemia Cup Regatta (a great fund raiser for a good cause) that is held here that month.

I could always use a stencil to paint a Big Bird over the scratches for the time being. I quess I have had my "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" lesson!

cheers,
Ron

Tags
advice , gel coat , painting , topsides