Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-08-2013

ltbullish is on a distinguished road
Cool Navico tp1800 stuck at the fully extended position

Hi, I have a old tp1800 tiller pilot, which works fine except when it beeps continuously after fully extended itself. It can not re-tract back after pressing the red port button (it is starboard side installed). I have to open the cover, turn the plastic wheel myself first before it can retract back. The pilot works fine when it is fully retracted to the other end. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-08-2013

Brewgyver is on a distinguished road
Re: Navico tp1800 stuck at the fully extended position

Open it up, look for limit switches at both ends of normal travel. Use a mutimeter to check the extended limit switch. Check C to NO, then C to NC. One of them should read 0 ohms (closed), the other infinite resistence (open). If they both read open (or less likely both closed), the switch has failed internally. Replace the switch you should be good to go. If the contacts check out as normal, look for a mechanical fault that is keeping the swithch from being actuated. Could be as simple as a broken or missing roller on the end of the switch lever, or an attachment on the drive rod that's supposed to engage the switch but is not doing so.

If you have no luck with that, try this guy:

Tom LaMers
tlam45387@aol.com
Old 04-11-2013

ltbullish is on a distinguished road

thanks for the suggestion on where i should look. i will take a look over this weekend. if the switch is bad, where i can get a new switch? sorry for my ignorance.
Old 04-12-2013

Brewgyver is on a distinguished road

There are literally thousands of variations of switches, and at least as many sources for replacements. But it's not as hard as that might sound. Look on the switch itself for a manufacturer and part number. Measure the dimensions of the switch. Typically it will have two small holes through the plastic box shaped body of the switch for mounting, and eiter spader terminals or solder tabs for wiring. Larger ones have screw terminals, but that's less likely in this application. One of the best resources for small electronic parts is Digi-Key. If you search for just "microswitch" it will give you this page, a fantastic search grid just for microswitches. Select one piece of matching info (Manufacturer, first characters in the part #), leave the rest blank, and click "apply filters". I just pulled a switch out of my parts box, saw what looked like a part number that started with V3L- so I scrolled down the "series" column, found and clicked on V3L and applied filters, it gave a list of 6 switches. They didn't have an exact part number match, but part of that number represents the connection type, and they had the same switch as mine with solder tabs instead of quick connect, so if I needed one, that would be better than nothing!

Other possible sources are the dozens of electronics surplus sites, such as All Electronics | Electronic and Electro-Mechanical Parts and Supplies at Discount Prices, but of course they have nowhere near the selection of a Digi-Key or Jameco.

If you get stuck, take a picture of it and post it or PM me.

Tags
navico , tiller pilot , tp1800

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.