SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   propane tank (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/98276-propane-tank.html)

brokesailor 04-08-2013 08:31 PM

propane tank

I filled my tank last weekend and put it back in the aft lazarette. I got a call from the Marina telling me that due to a stong gas odor they went on the boat and found the relief valve on the tank lifted and did not reseat.
Lesson learned. When you fill a propane tank don't put it back in its locker if weather is expected to turn much warmer. It could go boom!

Faster 04-08-2013 08:37 PM

Re: propane tank

..but better to lift and not reset than not lift at all! (as long as it's not 'below', of course)

But it's hard to believe it was hot enough already to cause that kind of pressure (it should be unrelated to the level in the tank - temperature dependant - unless, perhaps, it was overfilled) The relief was probably faulty, I'm thinking...

Minnewaska 04-08-2013 09:18 PM

Propane tanks don't typically do that in the height of the summer. Theynhave a wide margin of error. Had to be something else wrong. Either the relief was bad, or it was overfilled.

MarkSF 04-08-2013 11:21 PM

Overfilling is quite common - maybe they did not open the overflow valve.

deltaten 04-08-2013 11:45 PM

Since the new OPD valves, some stations slap on the fill hose and run until the pop-off hits..never weighing the tank/load. I lost a whole 30# tankful due to that issue. The pop-off valve *almost* reset and it slowly leaked out over a week or less. Stank the garage up sumpin' fierce! ;) Worse yet; it *may* have ruined a brand new tank/valve. Gonna cost me near the cost opf the tank ta get it checked/fixed! :grrr:

Brent Swain 04-09-2013 07:30 PM

Thats why I switched to exchange tanks. Get a new one each time.

misfits 04-09-2013 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brent Swain (Post 1014433)

Sooner or later you'll get a dud

Minnewaska 04-09-2013 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brent Swain (Post 1014433)

Don't you get a different used one each time?

Lake Superior Sailor 04-09-2013 10:59 PM

And the tanks are never full; weigh them & learn how you get taken advantage of!..Dale

Chili Palmer 04-09-2013 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lake Superior Sailor (Post 1014509)
And the tanks are never full; weigh them & learn how you get taken advantage of!..Dale

I recently worked part-time at a gas station that filled propane tanks and had the exchange tanks. One day a regular customer came in and said the tank he received on exchange didn't feel full, I brought it over to the filling station and ended up putting almost a full gallon in. I decided to call the propane company and ask and they said "Oh yeah, instead of raising the price we started putting less gas in the tanks". I guess it would have been nice to have known that from the beginning.

As far as the OP goes, my guess is the person who filled it either didn't open the release valve. There's a lot of pressure in those things if you don't fill them correctly.