SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Go-To boat cleaner

4K views 23 replies 14 participants last post by  Minnewaska 
#1 ·
What's everyone's go-to boat cleaner?

Why do you use it? Most effective? Environmentally sensitive? All-purpose?

I've been using Tuf-Enuf for cleaning the gelcoat and canvas. It also works incredibly well on teak too, if you spray it on full strength and scrub lightly with a scotch pad.

I hate the bucket and brush approach to cleaning. I just put it in an industrial spray bottle and walk around with the hose and brush. I rinse, spray a bit, brush and rinse off. Easy.

I've slowly been ditching all other products, like dedicated teak cleaners, de-greasers, etc.

It leaves a slightly waxy feel, which I've always wondered about. No idea if that is good or bad. It is not good on Eisenglass, as it leaves a film. This is what the MSDS says is in it. Anyone know what this stuff does?

Alkycylarysulfonates, alcohol, and inorganic acid neutralizing and chelating agents: 2- Butoxyethanol, CAS # 111-76-2- TLV Units 25ppm

There is a downside. If I don't keep the topsides well rinsed, which is nearly impossible to do, it will take the wax/sealer off.

What do you use?

See less See more
#3 ·
I've been using bleach clean-up. Easy to find but would like something a bit safer to use around running rigging.

We used to use industrial strength Simple Green at an old job I had, that stuff worked great but you can't find the same strength in stores. It's watered down. The concentrated stuff would burn your nose when you smelled it.

#5 ·
I use Simple Green generally, works great. If I have a tough nasty spot I use 409. I only use 409 sparingly. Spray 409 on the nasty then let sit for 10-15 minutes, then wash off. Both of these strip boat wax so if you are a boat wax fanatic (not me, I'd rather sail) then you need to find something much lower on the PH spectrum. There are a bunch of car wash solutions that are wax friendly.

I am beginning to think that the Simple Green smell helps keep Otters away. Anecdotal evidence at best. SG does have an interesting oder that you must get used to.

#7 ·
BTW, this seems a bit silly but I really like the below product. I just fill up the dispenser with Simple Green, set the nozzle position (there is only one useful setting) and spray away. It is cheap, not sure how long it will last, I've used it ~10 times. Obviously, it is not a power washer:)

#8 ·
For exterior gelcoat I use Imar boat soap and a microfiber cloth. It will not strip off the wax.

For canvas I use Woolite. You need to be gentle on Sunbrella. Soft toothbrush on stubborn bird poop. And then re-coat with 303.

For the non-skid I use a green Scotchbrite, Mr. Clean magic erasers and water. I only use Clorox clean-up here if absolutely necessary.

Tempered glass portlights I use Windex and paper towels or newspaper.

Hatches we use microfibers and warm water only.

#10 ·
I second the Imar (per Mainesails rec). Doesn't remove the wax (+) but also doesn't remove the black streaks (-). Since I wax once a year anyway I might switch to one of the recommendations above for the spring cleaning, then wax and use Imar thereafter.

#23 ·
Kelly, one more note. You might want to check out this video. Apparently the lever lets you adjust the amount of soap that gets used.

EZ Jet Water Cannon with 8 Built-In Spray Patterns - YouTube
OK, LOL, impressive how HSN oversells functionality. It is NOT as great as they say but certainly I am getting my $15 out of it. It is NOT a mini pressure washer. The pressure from the typical marina is HALF of what is shown here. But it does work dandy I must say. The dispenser is the best part of the functionality, it works well.

Thanks for the posting:)

#20 ·
No one uses Tilex or such bathroom cleaner on their non-skid? I never have, mostly for fear of the chlorine doing bad things to the teak or paint. But, I'm tempted this year to get at those little black spec mold things we all get bits of. Maybe try to contain it and mop it back up with a wet rag, rather than hose off.

Anyway, I'm thinking that none of the products above, including my go-to, does anything for the non-skid black stuff. (someone is going to remind me what its called)

#22 ·
Minne;

Beware Tilex or other ceramic cleaners. Some (most?) have acids that eventually eat the grout away and cause damage. We usta use "scrubbing bubbles" at a retail shop to clean the textured HPL shelves. Worked well for them; perhaps will work for deck no-skid??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.