Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-09-2013

Frogwatch is on a distinguished road
Finding derelict boats

In the other thread about the supposed problem of derelict boats in the USA, there is a lot of discussion of these old boats to had for nearly nothing if you want a major project.
Well, I want a major project as I have built boats and am seriously planning on building a 34-35' boat. I'd prefer to re-build than build but finding such boats online is nearly impossible.
Of course, distance is a major issue due to cost of transport but even that might be ok if the hull is sound.
So, where are these boats? Even the listing of Sandy destroyed boats is mighty slim pickings.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-09-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road
Re: Finding derelict boats

Where are you located? That might be a start. Most of the free boats I have seen are smaller that 34 to 35 foot, unless they are wooden.
Old 04-09-2013

paul323 is on a distinguished road

Call around marinas. Especially Marinas which also store boats on the hard, which tends to be longer-term "forget" storage.

A larger marina/storage facility near me sells or scraps 2-4 boats every quarter - people stop paying storage fees, and after a certain period of time, a lien is posted and boat then sold. They typically put it on Craig's list, and let scrap dealers know.

In Marinas, the problem is often different - people keep paying the slip fees thinking they will sail someday, end then when they get around to selling the boat requires major work. There is one just down from my slip - has not moved in a decade - owner finally deciding to selling it, asking an outrageous amount because he installed a new engine a decade ago, which he has not started since...gotta recoup that investment, right? It is not selling fast.

I bet almost every mid-sized marina has a couple of derelict boats they would love to get rid of.

Good luck
Old 04-09-2013

joebeach is on a distinguished road

In another thread, the OP posts he's from the Florida panhandle....

FW, if you ever get down St. Pete way, there are a couple of derelicts in Boca Ciega Bay (on the west/ICW side, not in Tampa Bay) that have been there for at least a couple of years, and a new one just added this past year. One's on a mooring near Maximo and looks to be 27-28 LOA; 2 others are beached near Clam Bayou/Gulfport, one of which looks from a distance to be 30+ feet (the other, more recent one is 24-25 or so).

Have no idea how one would acquire good title to them. Or why someone hasn't taken them out already - except perhaps that they are beat to &^%$.
Old 04-09-2013

sailvayu is on a distinguished road

You have to be careful with this type of boat as there can be leans on them from a marinas or back taxes. Titles can be an issue as well. You might be able to get away with having a new hull id issued as a home built but then run into problems getting insurance. It is a shame to see these boats go to waste but the legal issues can make it hard. You also do not want to fix a boat up only to have the owner come along and claim you stole it. Lots of pitfalls with these boats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.