Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-30-2004

winslow59 is on a distinguished road
need to know more about CNG

We are considering a Sabre 34-I as our next boat. This is a step up in size and quality for us. The boat we may make an offer on has a CNG stove & oven. I (we) are not familiar with this cooking fuel as used on a boat - what to expect in cooking, availability, safety, what a proper installation should look like, etc.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-30-2004

jkumin is on a distinguished road

We had a boat 20+ years ago with CNG, since then our boats have had propane. There is theoretically a little different heat value from the two fuels but in practice they seem to cook about the same, like a gas stove at home. The advantage of CNG is it''s lighter than air, so gas from a leak drifts up and out the normal ventilation openings. Propane is heavier than air so a leak pools low in the bilge and poses an explosion hazard. We have come to believe that a proper propane installation (which includes a sensor under the stove with an alarm among other things) is adequately safe. The big negatives of CNG are storage and availability. CNG cannot be compressed into a liquid so it''s stored under high pressure in cylinders much like scuba tanks. An equivalent amount of fuel takes much more space than propane. You exchange the empty cylinder for a full one and availability is a real issue. Check to see where you can do this around your normal cruising area, my sense is it''s getting harder to find. If you go far afield, it can be trouble.

If CNG availability turns out to be a problem, many stoves (check with the manufacturer) can be re-jetted to burn propane. Often CNG installations have the tanks in a lazarette in the open, counting on the lighter-than-air for safety. To convert to propane you need a proper vapor tight locker, vented overboard. These can be bought as aftermarket kits and installed where the CNG tanks went.

I wouldn''t let the CNG issue deter you from the Sabre 34. If all else fails convert to propane.
Old 05-31-2004

DelmarRey is on a distinguished road

Actually CNG can be compressed to a liquid @ 165ļ below 0. But to bring it back it has to go threw a pump. Which is only convenient in large quanities.
CNG is becoming more available everywhere, you just need to look. With the prices of gasoline the way they''re going CNG is becoming very popular real fast. We''ll be setting up another station for the public right next to our City unit. We already have a taxi company buying from us. We have around 100 cars and trucks running on CNG now.
CNG is much safer than propane, just not as available, but soon that will change.
We have one large station downtown and we''re setting up another in the North county besides the one for the public.
I''ve cosidered converting my vessel to CNG but I think I''ll be going electric instead.

.................................._/)