SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Do I need to put a sealer on my sails after cleaning them (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/98390-do-i-need-put-sealer-my-sails-after-cleaning-them.html)

ABH3 Boyer 04-11-2013 08:25 AM

Do I need to put a sealer on my sails after cleaning them

I soaked my Darcon sails in oxyclean for about an hour. Then went over both sides with a soft scrub brush. Rinsed them very well and hung them up in my heated warehouse to dry thoroughly. Now I'm wondering if I'm suppose to apply a sealer to them or are they good to go. For anyone who might be wondering the sails came out nice and white but the stains did not come out and I didnt expect them to. I was a little worried about the oxyclean breaking down the material so I only soaked them for a limited time. I didnt notice any deterioration on the sails from what I did.

zz4gta 04-11-2013 11:39 AM

Re: Do I need to put a sealer on my sails after cleaning them

Should be fine. No Sealer needed.

ABH3 Boyer 04-11-2013 11:42 AM

Thanks for the info

svHyLyte 04-11-2013 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ABH3 Boyer (Post 1015117)
I soaked my Darcon sails in oxyclean for about an hour. Then went over both sides with a soft scrub brush. Rinsed them very well and hung them up in my heated warehouse to dry thoroughly. Now I'm wondering if I'm suppose to apply a sealer to them or are they good to go. For anyone who might be wondering the sails came out nice and white but the stains did not come out and I didnt expect them to. I was a little worried about the oxyclean breaking down the material so I only soaked them for a limited time. I didnt notice any deterioration on the sails from what I did.

If the sails have been thoroughly cleaned, and mold and rust stains removed, one can use SailKote to good advantage.

bristol299bob 04-11-2013 01:55 PM

HyLyte, do you mean coat the *sails* with sailkote? I've never heard of that. what is the benefit?

I do use sailkote on the mast and furler tracks.

hellosailor 04-11-2013 03:47 PM

Unlike chlorine bleaches, the "oxy" cleaners don't break down fabrics so if you want to hit the stains again with a scrub brush and a longer paste scrub or something else, that shouldn't be a concern.

New sails are usually calendered with a resin coating to stabilize the fabric and block UV damage. You wouldn't be able to recoat them the same way but I suppose you could use some 303 or other UV protectant spray for the same reason. I don't know anyone who does, though I think some of the commercial cleaning services do offer coating of some kind after cleaning.

McLube's Sailkote is a wax and krytox lubricant...a very good lubricant, but I think HyLyte must be thinking of a different product for sails??

svHyLyte 04-11-2013 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bristol299bob (Post 1015266)
HyLyte, do you mean coat the *sails* with sailkote? I've never heard of that. what is the benefit?

I do use sailkote on the mast and furler tracks.

Yes. One can/should use SailKote or SailKote Plus on the sails. It will prevent mildew, minimize the sail fouling with dirt, prevent water penetration etc. Take a look at the site (click on the Blue SailKote link in my earlier post) and at the uses for SailKote and SailKote Plus listed there. (It's not called SailKote for no reason, eh?)

CarbonSink62 04-12-2013 03:22 PM

Boy, is that news I can use.

Thanks, HyLyte!

TheWollard 05-26-2013 12:27 PM

How often do you clean your sails?

Any advice for cleaning a jib on a furler?

svHyLyte 05-26-2013 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWollard (Post 1035711)
How often do you clean your sails?

Any advice for cleaning a jib on a furler?

It's like reefing. The first time you say to yourself, "Gee, I wonder if I should clean my sails" you probably should. And they should be rinsed with fresh water often, to the extent possible, to remove salt crystals that eat up the fabric/stitches. For the jib, on a windless day I scrub the decks clean and then drop the sail and clean it incrementally from top to bottom as it is rehoisted, a few feet at a time. It takes patience and persistence, particularly if the sail is very large, the the effort is worth while.

FWIW...