SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Drilling Silicon Bronze (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/98397-drilling-silicon-bronze.html)

casey1999 04-11-2013 01:17 PM

Drilling Silicon Bronze

I need to drill some silicon bronze about 1/2-inch thick. Does anyone have a procedure? Type drill bit, RPM, cutting oil, how hard it is?
Regards

tommays 04-11-2013 02:53 PM

Re: Drilling Silicon Bronze

On bronze you need to put a touch of negative rake on the cutting edge as it will tend to try and pull the bit through the work like it was wood

casey1999 04-11-2013 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommays (Post 1015296)
On bronze you need to put a touch of negative rake on the cutting edge as it will tend to try and pull the bit through the work like it was wood

Is that also required when drilling stainless steel?

sailvayu 04-11-2013 03:50 PM

Stainless is harder than bronze so you want to sharpen like you would with steel. Use kerosene or other thin oil for bronze and water to cool when cutting stainless. A slow cutting speed for both work better but you will not have the heat issue with bronze as you do with stainless. With stainless it is critical you do not let the bit get hot or you will lose your cutting edge in an instant. A steady flow of water will keep your bit cool. I use a squire bottle and just go slow. Bronze is not such a problem.

casey1999 04-11-2013 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailvayu (Post 1015324)
Stainless is harder than bronze so you want to sharpen like you would with steel. Use kerosene or other thin oil for bronze and water to cool when cutting stainless. A slow cutting speed for both work better but you will not have the heat issue with bronze as you do with stainless. With stainless it is critical you do not let the bit get hot or you will lose your cutting edge in an instant. A steady flow of water will keep your bit cool. I use a squire bottle and just go slow. Bronze is not such a problem.

I am thinking of making my own Silicon Bronze chain plates. Was doing so research and one comment I saw was it is better to punch the holes rather than drill them, as a drilled hole can cause a stress riser. Do you think drilling and causing a stress riser at the hole is a major issue? The hole where turn buckel connects to chain plate would be stressed the most I would think.

sailvayu 04-11-2013 04:46 PM

I am not an expert and it has been awhile since I had any machine shop experience but I would think if you drill and finish off with a ream you would be ok Drill to the pin size and then ream to slightly over and chamfer the hole edges should do it. I would think punching would cause more stress in the metal but like I say I am not an expert with this.

tommays 04-11-2013 06:13 PM

Your over thinking this way to much as long as the drilling is done in a machine the hole will be round and of the correct size