Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2013

fallard is on a distinguished road
Re: Outboard Advice

I used an older 7.5 hp on my daysailor for a while, back in the '70's. It's more power than you need, but not so much as to overpower your boat. Just use outboard engine oil and fresh gas. You should may want to check with an outboard mechanic on the oil mixture, as you may be able to operate safely with less oil using the newer outboard oils, as dabnis said.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-13-2013

dabnis is on a distinguished road

I started using synthetic 2 stroke oil but stayed with the mfr's mix spec. Some of the sythetic oils said 100:1 is OK, but I would stay with the motor mfr's specs. It appeared that the synthetic oil smoked a bit less. There are different 2 stroke oils, one for water cooled engines and one for air cooled. Use what is appropriate for your specific engine.

In my opinion, 2 strokes are simple, light, and last a long time, and using the proper oil mix and air to fuel mix, don't smoke that bad, especially the small ones.

Paul T
Old 04-13-2013

MarkSF is on a distinguished road

Well I've had the Suzuki 2.5, and the Tohatsu 3.5 4-strokes. I liked the Tohatsu more - just seemed better made. It would move my Wayfarer (16ft) daysailer at 5.8 kts, which was fine for me. The Tohatsu weighs 43 lbs. Both really sip fuel.

One other thought, the integral gas tanks are fine for getting in and out of harbour, but are a right royal PITA to refill on the water. Hanging over the back of the boat trying to put gas in a tiny tank in a chop is not my idea of fun. For any sort of cruising under power, I recommend an external gas tank - I have a 3 gallon one which is not too bulky.

Ooops, I think that just ruled out the two outboards I mentioned - no external connection.

If you are going for used, personally I'd get either a 4 stroke or 2 - but get the best condition one you can. You are looking for a good, responsible seller who has looked after the o/b well.
Old 04-13-2013

sony2000 is on a distinguished road

The free one is perfect. Use a 50:1 oil mix but not less oil, ever.
Old 04-13-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

I'm still new to this, but in the short time I've been boating, I've had both 2 stroke and 4 stroke engines. Mixing the oil isn't hard; it's premeasured, or at least there are easy marks on most of the oil containers. I wouldn't let that stop you.

A 7.5HP may be overkill for the boat, but other than using more fuel than you really need, I personally don't think 7.5HP is a bad thing (you won't use it at WOT, but so what?). The bigger problem, though, will be whether it is too heavy for your transom. If you're planning on beefing up the transom, then that's another story, but stock, I'd be worried that the boat really wasn't designed for that much weight/stress, and I'd be worried about how that kind of weight (you're talking about 10% of the boats weight, I'd guess) hanging off the back will impact the way the boat behaves under sail. It will change where she sits "on her lines", and may cause the boat to significantly list to one side. There are ways to deal with these issues, and if the 7.5 is still in good working order, then you can take the money you'd have spent on the engine and put that toward addressing some of them.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-14-2013

MarkSF is on a distinguished road

Also for 2 strokes, make sure you use the marine 2 stroke oil. It's formulated to break down more easily in the marine environment. It's quite cheaply priced in semi-synthetic form.

I buy this stuff :

Get the Pennzoil XLF TC-W3 Engine Oil at an always low price from Walmart.com. Save money. Live better.
Old 04-14-2013

Shinook is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
With new ethanol gas either run out the gas in the engine when done or use airplane fuel without ethanol.
Is ethanol free that hard to find? It seems like I pass a few gas stations wherever I go down here that have it.

At any rate, aviation fuel (of the 100LL variety) has lead in it, I can't imagine that being good for engines designed for unleaded fuel.