SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Outboard Advice (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/98421-outboard-advice.html)

Ei Leen 04-12-2013 06:21 AM

Outboard Advice

I want to get an outboard for a 17' daysailer. What to get? I will be using it in saltwater. At times, I will be using just the motor. I was thinking of looking for an electric, since they seem to be less expensive but I really have no idea what I should be looking for.

tommays 04-12-2013 07:08 AM

Re: Outboard Advice

It depends on far or how much time you might need to motor

I have two different friends with harbor 20s with the electric drive and solar system that survive on moorings

BUT they daysail off the moorings and really only use the unit for very short amounts of time

If you need to run 2 hours because you went on a longer sail and there is no wind and a foul current then gasoline becomes the better pick

CorvetteGuy 04-12-2013 07:22 AM

Check out some of the 4 horse air cooled models, light weight and will do the job by the sounds of your needs. can be found fairly cheap

T37Chef 04-12-2013 07:44 AM

You may consider the new propane outboards, if I had more time I would post a link, I think Worst Marine is selling them? If you go with gas, really consider Tohatsu, rebranded as Mercury and Nissan (I think Nissan?).

The electric Toquedos are great but $$$$

mac 2-22 04-12-2013 07:56 AM

I had a 23 ft coronado that weighed 2500# i moved around with a minn kota 40 # trust troller and used a jump start power pack i think 17amp hour unit, would last 45-60 min. deep cycle batteries will last longer. new boat is a mac 22 i will be using a 55# trust prowler with group27 deep cycle. battery charger on board with small 1 k generator to recharge if needed.

jimgo 04-12-2013 09:21 AM

A few questions:
How much does your boat weigh?
How long do you plan on (typically) running the engine/motor?
Are you keeping the boat on a trailer, mooring, or slip?
How available is an electrical supply?
Is your boat's transom set up for an engine?
Does the boat's manufacturer specify a maximum engine size/weight?

At 17', I doubt the boat will be TOO heavy, so like Mac said, a trolling motor might work fine. I'm considering that option for my 15'. But then I need power to it. If I can rig up a solar panel, then I'll be fine, because I'd mostly be using the boat on a small lake, won't need to run the motor more than about 20 minutes (max), and waiting several days for the battery to charge won't likely be a big deal. Keep in mind, though, that in addition to the motor, you're looking at buying a battery and a solar panel, too. Not that they are incredibly expensive, but still... If you're not going solar, you need a way of charging the battery aboard the boat, too, otherwise you'll be lugging a very heavy battery home.

I've seen discussions of the propane engines, and they look interesting. I'm just not sure that I want to carry all of those little canisters with me all the time. You'll have to find a way of keeping the canisters safe while you transport/use the boat, too. I'm not sure I like the idea of driving all over the place with the canisters in my trunk, given the conversations we've seen here about propane.

Gas is tried-and-true, but not without its issues, too. Gas engines are heavy and loud, and they seem to have the largest carbon footprint (though there are arugments that electric is bad, too, if you're charging the batteries from a power plant rather than solar). They can also be tempermental, and difficult to start.

Each of the options has its advantages and disadvantages (in predictable fashion, I've focused mostly on the disadvantages). You'll have to figure out which one is right for you.

Faster 04-12-2013 09:50 AM

From the sounds of it you'll be using the boat as a power boat more often than some.. I think that will rule out electric unless you load way too much weight in batteries.

A 4HP gas outboard will probably be more than plenty, but you'll likely need to go that route to get full F_N_R capability, which would be most convenient. The new 4 cycle engines are much quieter than the 2 cycles (which are becoming unavailable in any event)

dabnis 04-12-2013 10:21 AM

Unless you need to punch through steep, heavy chop with fast currents, an air cooled 4 stroke 2 HP Honda, or equivalent, gas outboard should work fine. IIRC, the Honda weighs just about 27 lbs. I had one for many years, ran it hard, and had no problems with it. It uses a very minimal amount of fuel.

Paul T

T37Chef 04-12-2013 01:58 PM

The only issues with those Honda 4 stroke 2Hp engines is they are loud (air cooled) and only 1 cylinder. Other than that they are fine overpriced engines :)

FWIW, I had one and hated it, oh well

chef2sail 04-12-2013 02:08 PM

I have a Tahatsu 4 stroke 4hp ( yes rebranded Nissan). Quiet and reliable. Lowest HP model with internal and external combo.58 lbs...not light.

With new ethanol gas either run out the gas in the engine when done or use airplane fuel without ethanol.

Dave