SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   any experiences putting home phone number on internet-connected boat? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/98463-any-experiences-putting-home-phone-number-internet-connected-boat.html)

Bene505 04-13-2013 06:06 AM

any experiences putting home phone number on internet-connected boat?

I'm looking to make our home phone an internet-based phone to save money and be able to move the home phone to the boat for when we are cruising. We already have reliable long range WiFi on Summer Boost, thanks to our Bullet2HP setup.

Does anyone have experience with the different choices out there?

Regards,
Brad

Ei Leen 04-13-2013 07:23 AM

Google voice? I don't understand it well enough to explain it but it might be an option for you.

SVAuspicious 04-13-2013 07:39 AM

Re: any experiences putting home phone number on internet-connected boat?

Hi Brad,

I use Google Voice. GV rolls to any phone numbers you like simultaneously. Mine rolls to my AT&T iPhone, SkypeIn, and whatever local number I'm using. Everything rings at once and the call goes to whatever device is answered first. In addition to GV voicemail accessible over the phone you can get the audio over the Internet and in a voice-to-text e-mail.

I know cruisers using Vonage but have no personal experience with it aboard. The dependence on a little hardware box was not attractive to me. My partner Janet uses Vonage for her home office fax and is generally pleased with it.

msmith10 04-13-2013 07:46 AM

You could do that easily with Ooma or Magic Jack (the first is more sophisticated) and having your homr number ported to the device (they charge about $30-40 for doing this). You are hardware dependent then, but as long as you go to VOIP you're going to be hardware dependent. So what?
Either device can be moved to any internet connected computer and you've got your home phone wherever you go.
Ooma (not sure about Magic Jack) can also forward your home calls to your cell phone.
I have Ooma- very reliable, costs about $3/month- mandatory federal taxes.

tweitz 04-14-2013 12:34 AM

any experiences putting home phone number on internet-connected boat?

I use Google Voice to forward calls from an old number. I also use Vonage for an office number. Both work very well and give you many features, like emailing messages, call forwarding, ringing on multiple phones, etc.

sww914 04-14-2013 12:40 AM

I tried google voice but if your internet speeds are marginal it's worse than skype.
I bought a skype number in the US so family can call me for free. I suppose it's possible to port your old number over to a skype number but I didn't try that because my old number had something to do with a crappy cell company and their B.S. contract that I fulfilled and a huge charge for nothing, you get the picture.

Bene505 04-14-2013 09:13 PM

Just bought an Ooma phone off eBay. Once it gets here I'll signup for service.

I saw that Skype wanted to charge people that call me for the part going from my number's home location to wherever I was.

Thank you for the advice!

Regards,
Brad