Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-02-2013
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
Re: FJ in need of blocks, newbie at helm. Help!

Some people don't want the extra weight of 3/8" ss pins. Nor the weight of 3/16" plate aluminum, which is why Harken, Ronstan, and many other manufacturers are running successful businesses.

I've never held one of your home made blocks, but comparing Garhauer to Harken, the cheaper heavier Garhauer blocks are overbuilt and underengineered. Making them heavier than necessary. There's a reason so many people use fancy pulleys. And it's not b/c they're all too stupid to know better.

On that note, I'll go back to pounding sand...
Old 05-02-2013
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

Back to the OP: As noted, your FJ probably had much simpler rigging when it was made, than what you will see in online stores. FJ's are a popular racing class, therefore a lot of what you see is go-fast stuff that you do not need (yet!). I just bought a mid 60's FJ a few weeks ago. It has a simple wire traveler, and two small blocks on the boom, and one on the boat, for the mainsheet. The jib sheets just have one block each. Look for used blocks on e-bay. Should be able to find these cheap. The running rigging doesn't have to be anything high tech. The main sheet should be a decent size so it doesn't hurt your hands.

Old 05-02-2013

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
Indeed!

Unfortunately for RedCFJSailor he wont know of the many other times that Brent has posted about making his own $2 blocks. He is kind of the resident "make your own $2 blocks" comedian.
In truth though I absolutely believe that he does make his own blocks and I believe that it is possible with the right tools, materials and whatnot.
Most of us wont bother with this sort of effort though.

Most people wont make their own sail repairs sewing by hand either. So far this spring I have a bout 30 hours into sewing up the leach line on our genoa and repairing tears in it about spreader height. With a machine it might have taken 3 hours max but I don't have a sewing machine, so I am sewing by hand. New genoa soon I hope.

@RedCFJSailor -
The APS link is a good one. I suggest you note down the specs for the equipment you'll need at their website and shop around a bit online.
Other places to check for this kind of hardware:
Garhauer Garhauer Marine Hardware -6055481
Defender Discount Marine and Boat Supplies - Inflatable Sales - Defender
or your other favorite online or real chandlery.

Most of all have fun with your FJ. It looks like a great dinghy racer and would be great if you outfitted it as you seem to intend to.
Yes, I guess I am a comedian, in the Bill Maher tradition. What else do comedian Bill Maher and comedian Brent Swain have in common?
Both have double the intelligence of their critics. Both have made a good living pointing out the foolishness of their critics. Both have been provided a good living by the generous foolishness of their critics, who are too smugly dense to realize that the joke is them. Both make a good living questioning religion , one christianity the other, blind faith in unquestioning "consumerism" the most prevalent religion in our society.
While the enlightened go cruising , working a month a year and cruising the rest, the "Consumerism "religious go to work 40 hours or more a week to pay for the grossly over priced, inferior goods they are programed to blindly accept, unquestioningly.
I guess I should really be grateful that so many are that gullible . It would be crowded out here otherwise, and I prefer to anchor amoung intelligent, resourceful people. I particlularly enjoy listening to the morning traffic report, to hear what my critics are doing. Then I roll over, cut a fart in their honour, and go back to sleep for another hour.
They work an entire year, to pay for their expensive ways of doing things , to be able to afford three weeks cruising. Then, in their scant free time, they take to the internet, to tell me I'm doing it all wrong. More canon fodder for those of us who make a living pointing out foolishness.
Gotta love it!

Last edited by Brent Swain; 05-02-2013 at 04:58 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-02-2013

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4gta View Post
Some people don't want the extra weight of 3/8" ss pins. Nor the weight of 3/16" plate aluminum, which is why Harken, Ronstan, and many other manufacturers are running successful businesses.

I've never held one of your home made blocks, but comparing Garhauer to Harken, the cheaper heavier Garhauer blocks are overbuilt and underengineered. Making them heavier than necessary. There's a reason so many people use fancy pulleys. And it's not b/c they're all too stupid to know better.

On that note, I'll go back to pounding sand...
1/8th inch plate would work for a boat that size, as would 1/4 inch pins. For a boat that size, 12 guage or even 14 guage would work.The difference between that and the weight of the coins in your pocket would be negligible. You could save far more weight by skipping breakfast and sailing bare assed.
Yes, there is a reason people use fancy pulleys. Promotion, advertising , glossy brochures, and hype.
A rich freind sailed from BC to New Zealand and back. He had expensive, comercially made blocks, with aluminium cheeks, with stainless straps over them . The corrosion betwen the two froze the expensive , "comercially made "blocks up solid in less than a year . All aluminium blocks ( the $2 kind ) are open, and any corrosion falls out.
Without the stainless straps to react with, there is little corrosion. Mine are 29 years old, and after 6 Pacific Crossings, and 11 months a year cruising, are as good and functional as the day I made them( for under $2 each).
In racing circles "Overbuilt" means something which doesnt break regularly, reducing profits for those who make and promote them.

Last edited by Brent Swain; 05-02-2013 at 05:17 PM.
Old 05-02-2013
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road

Ohmygawdyouaresocoolandawesome!!!!!
Old 05-02-2013

FlyingJunior is on a distinguished road
FJ in need of blocks, newbie at helm. Help!

I get it, now I'm inspired to make my own ropes, sails, spars, rigging, compass, gps, head and hull. No more consumerism for me.
Old 05-05-2013
Super Newbie

Red CFJ Sailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
Indeed!

Unfortunately for RedCFJSailor he wont know of the many other times that Brent has posted about making his own $2 blocks. He is kind of the resident "make your own $2 blocks" comedian.
In truth though I absolutely believe that he does make his own blocks and I believe that it is possible with the right tools, materials and whatnot.
Most of us wont bother with this sort of effort though.

Most people wont make their own sail repairs sewing by hand either. So far this spring I have a bout 30 hours into sewing up the leach line on our genoa and repairing tears in it about spreader height. With a machine it might have taken 3 hours max but I don't have a sewing machine, so I am sewing by hand. New genoa soon I hope.

@RedCFJSailor -
The APS link is a good one. I suggest you note down the specs for the equipment you'll need at their website and shop around a bit online.
Other places to check for this kind of hardware:
Garhauer Garhauer Marine Hardware -6055481
Defender Discount Marine and Boat Supplies - Inflatable Sales - Defender
or your other favorite online or real chandlery.

Most of all have fun with your FJ. It looks like a great dinghy racer and would be great if you outfitted it as you seem to intend to.
Thanks again for the fantastic info!
I stepped away for a while (work has been brutally busy, leaving little time to do anything but sleep), but I'm back into research/renovate mode.

I will absolutely follow your advice and check out the links you listed and get my dink in proper form. I sailed it a few weeks ago in ~15kt winds, still using the stock (lack of) rigging.... No blocks (at all), no vang, no traveler, and the sheet the PO installed was a piece of rope, not a sheet of any kind. After sailing close with only my own strength to control the sail, I got some good exercise, but I think I'm ready to make it into a real ship

Thanks again for your help!
Old 05-05-2013
Super Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingJunior View Post
Your boat probably never had a traveller, my 1974 doesn't.
hahaha nope.... no traveller, no vang, no blocks, no anything really.

there's a cleat on the centerboard trunk which I guess is supposed to be some sort of 'block' for the mainsheet, but it's beyond worthless.

needless to say, many, many upgrades will be on their way.
Old 05-05-2013
Super Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barquito View Post
Back to the OP: As noted, your FJ probably had much simpler rigging when it was made, than what you will see in online stores. FJ's are a popular racing class, therefore a lot of what you see is go-fast stuff that you do not need (yet!). I just bought a mid 60's FJ a few weeks ago. It has a simple wire traveler, and two small blocks on the boom, and one on the boat, for the mainsheet. The jib sheets just have one block each. Look for used blocks on e-bay. Should be able to find these cheap. The running rigging doesn't have to be anything high tech. The main sheet should be a decent size so it doesn't hurt your hands.

Thank you for the informative pictures!
And congrats on your new FJ! What company built it? I've not seen one with an open bow compartment like that. Mine's an Advance from 1967, and I have zero hardware- no blocks at all, no vang, no traveller, nothing.

That being said, I'm still having issues figuring out my boom setup. I think one of the blocks (?) isn't installed right, but I'll have to grab pictures next time I'm with the boat.

Have you gotten out on the water on your FJ yet?
Thanks again!
Old 05-05-2013
Super Newbie

CalebD- "Most people wont make their own sail repairs sewing by hand either. So far this spring I have a bout 30 hours into sewing up the leach line on our genoa and repairing tears in it about spreader height. With a machine it might have taken 3 hours max but I don't have a sewing machine, so I am sewing by hand. New genoa soon I hope."

I think my brain just exploded.....
Kudos to you for making that kind of effort!

Right now, I'm in more of a 'less time tinkering, more time sailing' stage with my boat, but man.... you've got some dedication. Well done!