Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2013

Rusty123 is on a distinguished road
Speedseal -- best place to order?

For those of you who have purchased a Speedseal or Speedseal Life for your diesel water pump, where did you order from?

The speedseal website directs you to call a number that connects you to someone in Great Britain. But between the time zone difference, accents, rudimentary phone system, and spotty hours of operation (they're gone this week), the purchasing experience leaves a bit to be desired, particularly if your engine is obsolete and measurements are required (as mine is).

I'm not sure how the direct order price compares to the reseller price, but I'm curious if there is a more traditional online vendor that people are using.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-16-2013

FSMike is on a distinguished road
Re: Speedseal -- best place to order?

I seem to recall some negative comments over the years, you might want to search for some reviews. No idea about ordering.
Old 04-16-2013

Tim R. is on a distinguished road

I have ordered them for two boats now directly fromSS. They work great and the ordering was no hassle. Sorry to hear that is no longer so.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 04-16-2013

fallard is on a distinguished road

There were some negative comments about Speedseal's customer service on another forum that went back and forth and struck me as coming from an unreasonable customer who though the knurled nuts ought to have slots (they don't), based on the published pictures. The cranky customer who caused all the stir eventually got a satisfactory resolution from Speedseal. Some who commented on that blog didn't think the device was worth the money and other users swore by the ease of access to the raw water impeller. Overall, the Speedseal seams to deliver on its promises of easy access and no hassle with a paper gasket (which is replaced by an o-ring).

I plan to buy one and had talked to the UK proprietor before verifying my engine model. When I got back this week on the phone, there was a recorded message about being closed until 22 April. You are obviously dealing with a specialty product by a small operation and whatever quirkiness goes with it.

In any case, they require you to deal with them directly to verify your pump type. There do not appear to be any authorized resellers.
Old 04-16-2013

rugosa is on a distinguished road

try here - ANTHONYKEATSMARINE.COM propeller shafts Wheatley rebuilding service quotations on engine installation obsolete transmissions consulting M47 marine transmission repair kits quotations on engine installation quotations on en
Old 04-17-2013

Rusty123 is on a distinguished road

Rugosa, thanks for the lead -- I'll check it out.

I would not say that Speedseal has bad customer service -- like Fallard says, "quirky" is probably a better word for it. I suppose I've become accustomed to the Amazon.com model (can you imagine Amazon closing up shop for a week?), while Speedseal is a little more old school.
Old 04-17-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

It could just be that Speedseal is a one-man shop, or small enough that when the boss goes on vacation, the rest of the room goes too. Not everyone has inventory pre-deployed to Amazon's many warehouses.
Ritchard likes this.
Old 04-19-2013
No more curry buffets

Ritchard is on a distinguished road

I intend to get a Speedseal Life this year. I have been terrified of dropping one of the tiny screws from my current cover into the black hole that is my bilge. And that papery gasket from Yanmar is bogus.
Old 04-21-2013
Daniel - Norsea 27

Rhapsody-NS27 is on a distinguished road

I've had my boat for a year now. I found out I have one of these speedseals. I took the impeller out to check it for the first time. I ended up tearing one of the fins. I have two standard Yanmar impellers but they're larger than the one I pulled out of the speedseal. Would a replacement be something standard found at West Marine or would I have to order a new one from Speedseal itself?

Quote:
“When a man comes to like a sea life, he is not fit to live on land.” — Dr. Samuel Johnson
Old 04-21-2013

fallard is on a distinguished road

My understanding is that you use your standard impeller with the Speedseal. The website makes a point of their machined cover plate having a recess to allow for the original paper gasket that is no longer used.

Could it be that your replacement impellers look larger in diameter because the blades haven't been "bent" into the spiral shape that results when properly in place in the pump cavity? You might look for a molded part number in the old one to compare it to your replacements.