SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Engine removal (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/98583-engine-removal.html)

H and E 04-17-2013 06:36 AM

Engine removal

I have a 1988 Catalina 25 w/ diesel inboard that I cannot find a way to get the engine out of the boat. It is loose from the mounts. I slid it into the lazaret but it will not come through the opening at the top. Any one out there that has removed one that can give me a clue? :confused:

Minnewaska 04-17-2013 07:20 AM

Re: Engine removal

It would not be the first I've heard of that was glassed around the engine and some surgery is needed for R&R.

Is it close? Will removal of any accessories, alternator, pumps, the rocker cover, etc help?

jimgo 04-17-2013 09:06 AM

Got any pictures?

I had a 1984 C25 with an outboard. Where is your engine located? Under the stairs? What made you slide it into the lazarette instead of the cabin? Was there an opening from the laz?

Faster 04-17-2013 09:32 AM

It often helps to remove components that enlarge the package.. alternator, heat exchanger, starter, etc.. anything that 'sticks out', and can be taken off in place. This reduces the weight and bulk of what you're trying to pull out of there.

But like jimgo I'm wondering if you mean the companionway... but not familiar with the way the engine's installed in those boats.

SloopJonB 04-17-2013 11:43 AM

Catalinas are famous for having wide companionways and from what I understand, they don't build the boats with the deck going on last - it should come out the main hatch.

What is interfering? pics would help.

Faster is correct - stripping the accessories will make it a smaller package.

SlowButSteady 04-17-2013 12:00 PM

As said above, it sounds like you're going about this bass-ackward...

Slide the engine forward and use the boom as a davit to pull it up and out.

aa3jy 04-17-2013 12:46 PM

Looked at all the Catalina 25's that are for sale on Yacht World..not one of 'em had an inboard..but saw pixs of the interior..What appears to be that the best way to remove your inboard engine is from behind the companionway ladder..provided you separate your transmission from the engine..

TQA 04-17-2013 08:58 PM

There is a VERY active catalina owners forum here CatalinaOwners.com - Home

Lake Superior Sailor 04-17-2013 09:07 PM

On my yanmar 8 I had to turn the motor sideways,to fit.....Dale

jimgo 04-17-2013 10:54 PM

There's another Catalina owners site - the official Catalina 25 owner's association - over at Catalina - Capri - 25s International Association - it's an EXCELLENT resource. I was an active member there for a while, and learned a lot there. Whether I retained any of it is another story...