Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2013

zerologic is on a distinguished road
Teak crack

I have a crack in a teak platform that is holding the hinge for hatch lock. I tried guerilla glue, but it came apart. Any suggestion on the best way to fix it?

I am attaching pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Teak crack-907522_10200376335383703_383468972_n%5B1%5D.jpg   Teak crack-912248_10200376335503706_1131522591_n%5B1%5D.jpg   Teak crack-908893_10200376360464330_1163519100_n%5B2%5D.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-17-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: Teak crack

It's too thin where that screw goes in - that's why it split on the plane of the screw.

Beefing up that area with a block of wood laminated to the existing wood or replacing the piece with something thicker is the only permanent fix.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 04-17-2013

bristol299bob is on a distinguished road

agree with Sloop.

I'd replace it with a piece of red oak or some other decent wood. No need for teak there, it's inside right? I'd make the replacement piece beefier than the existing. I use an insert and a machine screw to mount that latch, although a wood screw (pre-drilled of course) would do.
Hull #5
Oriental NC
Old 04-17-2013
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road

I have tried WEST on teak cracks with limited success. When I made a second attempt adding biscuits to the WEST it has worked. Installing the biscuits required my splitting the cracked piece completely apart and gluing it back together with the biscuits in place, again using WEST. The biscuits made the difference. Inserting them into the irregular surfaces required my Dremel tool to cut the slots. I have this repair on my hatch boards and on a couple of pieces of teak trim. Yes, there is a glue line but it still the original piece. I made my own teak biscuits.

Down
paul323 and bristol299bob like this.
Old 04-19-2013
No more curry buffets

Ritchard is on a distinguished road

I had been tossing around repair-in-place ideas and strategies when I read the Original Post, but have to agree with the sentiments above that the only permanent fix is a beefier replacement. I think a repair done in place to the current timber is almost certainly doomed to fail. Once you take it out to repair it properly, why not replace it with fresh? You could do teak, a chunk that big won't break you.

With a new piece, I might drill the screw hole all the way through, then widen the hole on the back (unseen) side of the board, put a nut into the well that would make, and fill hole with epoxy, capturing the nut. You would hold the nut in place for the epoxying with a waxed bolt while the epoxy set up.
Old 04-19-2013

paul323 is on a distinguished road

Before gluing ( or epoxying) teak, clean thoroughly with acetone. The natural waxes in the teak are what makes it such a resilient, water-resistant material; but as you know glues, including epoxy, don't stick to wax.
downeast450 likes this.
Old 04-19-2013
No more curry buffets

Ritchard is on a distinguished road

Paul323, how do you propose to thoroughly clean out a crack?
Old 04-19-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I've been reading ideas with interest. We have a piece on our cabin top that is strictly decorative, but has a crack the length of it. Now that we've removed the varnish from it and let it grey, you can't tell easily. However, with varnish, moisture would get under it and the varnish would peel down the crack itself.

I would have to drill out a few plugs to take it up, but then I'm not really sure what would hold the crack together well. Therefore, I just stare at it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 04-19-2013

Sadly photos help, but don't always give the full picture! The best fix really depends on a close examination of the wood and design.

I would gently pry the crack open, and then inject acetone (typically your local epoxy/fiberglass shop sells syringes). Then inject glue, clamp, and remember to drill a pilot hole before refitting.

Other options would be to reinforce the area by gluing a new piece of teak or another wood over the damaged area, as a split like this is likely to recur. In larger pieces a "butterfly" piece can be attractive; in this case, a linear piece (sometimes called a Dutchman) could be glued over the weak area. This piece should be beveled on either side, the grain aligned, and epoxied into place. This could then be drilled and provide a fresh anchor point.

Alternatively, after gluing, you could drill a slightly larger hole, fill it with thickened epoxy, and then drip and anchor into this plug. Less likely to split.

You may also want to consider putting one or two layers of fiberglass over the area. When sanded flat, it is transparent (you can varnish it) and it will provide further reinforcement. And of course, acetone wash before any epoxy/glue. It is a bit tricky though to use a small enough amount to not bee visible, but big enough to reinforce!

I'll look around for some images to show you some of these splices.

Good luck!
Old 04-19-2013

Image of butterfly inlay (may help minnewaska):
Butterfly Inlay - Woodworking Techniques - American Woodworker

Example Dutchman:
http://www.blacksashvt.com/portfolio...ration/4242618

Last edited by paul323; 04-19-2013 at 04:38 PM. Reason: Added second link

Tags
teak glue hatch

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.