Engine Mount needed. - SailNet Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By redx

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 04-18-2013 Thread Starter

Engine Mount needed.

Hello,

I am new to this forum and am restoring a boat which is powered by an inboard diesel engine. I'm posting this message because I am desperate to find a particular brand of engine mount to replace one I inadvertantly destroyed when trying to remove the mount's siezed bolts.

The engine mount I am after is called a "Globe Ever-Stay Motor Mount". They were made by Globe Rubber Company but I'm told that company no longer makes engine mounts, so I am having trouble finding a replacement. The Ever-Stay mounts come in several sizes and have the size number stamped on them such as M5, M6, M7 and so on.

Mine is the size designated as "M5" and it's dimensions are - 1.5 inches high, 2.5 inches wide, 4.5 Inches long, centre stud is 1/2" diameter with engine bed hole centres at 3.25 inches. I found Ever-Stay mounts advertised on Defender.com, a US marine dealer's website, but the mounts advertised are too large and they tell me they are out of stock anyway.

I tried adding an image of the mount to this post but I'm not permitted to because my post score is too low. A google search using the term "Globe Ever-Stay Motor Mounts" will bring up a link to an image on the Defender.com website.

My engine is a 2qm15 Yanmar Diesel but the Ever-Stay mounts are not genuine Yanmar mounts. I have looked at alternatives but they all have different dimensions to my M5 Ever-Stay mount which means I would have to make major changes to my engine bed, and that is a job I am hoping to avoid.

If anyone knows where I might be able to find one of these engine mounts, in size "M5", I would be very grateful.

Thankyou,

redx.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-01-2015

Re: Engine Mount needed.

Im in the same boat so to speak. Im looking for globe M3 mounts. Did you ever have any luck?
post #3 of 8 Old 01-01-2015

Best solution is to buy 4 new mounts. They may all need replacing anyway if more than a few years old.

Brian
Living aboard in Victoria Harbour
post #4 of 8 Old 01-01-2015 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecap24 View Post
Im in the same boat so to speak. Im looking for globe M3 mounts. Did you ever have any luck?
Hi whitecap24,

I hunted everywhere for the Globe mounts but was unsuccessful. I finally gave up and opted for a set of Dual Flex DF 2200 series mounts. In my case I ordered the DF 2205-1 Engine Mounts because the bolt hole dimensions and centre bolt size was similar to my Globe mounts. They are a good mount and work fine for my setup but I had to lower the engine bed height a little. I purchased them from the USA from go2marine.com and had them shipped to Australia, shipping was a killer but worked out cheaper than buying from Aussie dealers at the time. That might not be the case now considering the current exchange rate.

This link shows the mounts I used in the third image down the page.

Marine Engine Mounts

Cheers,
redx.
Faster likes this.
post #5 of 8 Old 01-01-2015
Just another Moderator

redx - thanks for updating and keeping up with this thread!

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #6 of 8 Old 01-02-2015

I did some research last night. Looks like the Polyflex mounts are very similar. THey have mounts with the same low profile and base design...
post #7 of 8 Old 01-02-2015 Thread Starter

Hi whitecap24,

Your mention of Polyflex mounts has jogged my memory on the problem I was having at the time with my own engine mounts and why I needed to replace them.

I was restoring a 20 foot f/glass boat and when removing the inboard engine I could not get one stubborn bolt loose, and in my efforts to free it up the offending Globe M5 mount was pretty well destroyed. I could not find a replacement M5 mount but did purchase one Polyflex PM127 mount from Polyflex (Australia). Their outlet was based in Queensland and the cost was AU$85 plus $20 shipping.

After receiving the new PM127 I realised it differed from my old M5's so I returned it and opted for the Dual Flex DF2000 series mounts mentioned earlier. I did have to make alterations to the engine bed but in the end it worked out to be a better solution, in my case.

Below is part of the email message I sent in May 2013 to Polyflex after receiving their mount

"....Unfortunately, after receiving the mount I find it does not quite match up with my existing mounts and that perhaps I may have been better off purchasing instead mounts of a different style to carry my engine. To use the PM127 would mean making alterations to my engine bed, and I am not sure if it's working loads are the same as my existing M5 mounts. If they are different it will mean the right rear and left rear of my engine will be carried on mounts of differing loads which might cause me problems with vibration and so on. It is a factor I should have taken into consideration before placing the order, the fault is entirely mine...."

I'm not sure now if the working load of the mount was my only reason for returning it. I know the PM127 looked a lot less solid than my M5's, it's base was not as thick, it's hole dimensions were smaller and overall it looked like a flimsier version of the Globe mounts. I'm not saying there was anything wrong with it's manufacture or quality, I'm just saying it just didn't measure up to my particular needs. If you were replacing all four of your mounts then your probably wouldn't have the problem I had.

Hope this all makes sense,
redx.
post #8 of 8 Old 01-05-2015

sure does..I really appreciate the info..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.