Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2013

tommays will become famous soon enough
Re: Removing Bottom Paint

I use a carbide drag scraper I found at Home depot with 4 dollar replacement blades

I am and old but motived person and once you get the feel it is a bit painful but progresses rather fast

tarps a good shop vac keep things in control
Sabreman likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-19-2013

fallard is on a distinguished road

Tommay's drag scraper is the kind I used and recommend. The key (for my situation) was to apply pressure against the hull as you drag the scraper along. That's how you fracture the paint, allowing the scraper to peel it off rather easily.
Old 04-19-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Good idea to check with the yard. Its bizzare what rules exist on how one must do things. Around here, yards cut deals with the Dept of Environmental Mangement all the time. The DEM won't make them install things like reclamation for pressure washer water, if they agree to modify some other practice. They may, just for example, agree to only use vacuum collectors on sanders so that scrapings and blasting residue never touch the ground. I'm not saying I know of this specific example, but I know of some that are just as silly.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 04-19-2013

FirstCandC is on a distinguished road

Sorry to hijack the thread, but how far down do you sand if the previous coat isn't in bad shape? All the way to the gelcoat?
Old 04-19-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstCandC View Post
Sorry to hijack the thread, but how far down do you sand if the previous coat isn't in bad shape? All the way to the gelcoat?
Depends. If the new paint is compatible with the old, you only need to take it down to that which is still adhered well. Safe is to take it to whatever epoxy barrier coat may have been applied, unless that is letting go to.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 04-19-2013

FirstCandC is on a distinguished road

Thanks. Going with Micron Extra over Micron Extra. Sanding upside down is NOT fun!
Old 04-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstCandC View Post
....Sanding upside down is NOT fun!
That's for sure. It's also one of those jobs where you can get very cheap unskilled labor to do it for you, while you focus on chores that a yard would charge $90 per hour to do. Many yards, however, won't let you bring your own help. Some will, if you are there with them or pay the yard a vig.

Jeanneau 54DS

Old 04-19-2013

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough

Quote:
It's also one of those jobs where you can get very cheap unskilled labor to do it for you
I got my unemployed brother-in-law to help. Quite cost effective and he was happy for the work. Tommay's scraper is the one that I used too.

Using a ShopVac isn't just efficient, it's smart health-wise and environmentally. The tarp that we had beneath the boat contained about 50 pounds of paint chips that we hauled to the dumpster. When sanding, I pulled off another 5 or 10 pounds, some of which would have ended up in my lungs (I sand each year so it's recurring). The thought of letting it just fly into the air for others to breathe or eat seems wrong to me.
Old 04-19-2013

misfits is on a distinguished road

I used a razor blade with the utility holder. Same type you'd use for scraping windows. It goes pretty quick & like other have said put a tarp under the boat to catch the paint chips & wear a mask. There will be a far amount of dust created when doing this.
Old 04-19-2013

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabreman View Post
I got my unemployed brother-in-law to help. Quite cost effective and he was happy for the work. Tommay's scraper is the one that I used too.

Using a ShopVac isn't just efficient, it's smart health-wise and environmentally. The tarp that we had beneath the boat contained about 50 pounds of paint chips that we hauled to the dumpster. When sanding, I pulled off another 5 or 10 pounds, some of which would have ended up in my lungs (I sand each year so it's recurring). The thought of letting it just fly into the air for others to breathe or eat seems wrong to me.
How do you use the shop vac with a scraper and/or sander? Does the sander have an connection point for the hose? For the scraper do you just vac up what fell on the tarp?