Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2013

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Removing Bottom Paint

I need to remove old anti-foul bottom paint prior to applying new paint.

I have seen in the US most people use a sander, while overseas it seems scraping using a large scraper is used. Scraping may be cheaper (last time I sanded and the paint cloggs the sand paper quickly- went through a lot of sanding disc). Scraping might also be environmentally better as it seems to generate less dust.

Comments on best method?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-18-2013

fallard is on a distinguished road
Re: Removing Bottom Paint

I've used a carbide scraper to remove built-up bottom paint on two boats. It's work, but it goes right along and it's a lot less messy than sanding. The carbide really holds its edge and there is no sharpening required. The sharp edge will literally fracture the bottom paint where it's thick and you can scrape the thin parts as if you are planing wood. I don't know what your options are for a power version, but you might damage your gel coat too easily if you aren't properly skilled. You can buy these scrapers at a hardware store, Home Depot, etc. and you can buy replacement blades, but you won't need them if you start off with a new scraper.
Old 04-18-2013

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallard View Post
I've used a carbide scraper to remove built-up bottom paint on two boats. It's work, but it goes right along and it's a lot less messy than sanding. The carbide really holds its edge and there is no sharpening required. The sharp edge will literally fracture the bottom paint where it's thick and you can scrape the thin parts as if you are planing wood. I don't know what your options are for a power version, but you might damage your gel coat too easily if you aren't properly skilled. You can buy these scrapers at a hardware store, Home Depot, etc. and you can buy replacement blades, but you won't need them if you start off with a new scraper.
Sounds good. I would plan to use the non-powered version. I think I will give it a try.
Regards
Old 04-18-2013

DannyboyUpstate is on a distinguished road
Does the carbide scraper remove the anti-fouling and the barrier coat down to the gelcoat? I have to remove both and start over.
Old 04-18-2013

Another thing: cover yourself as completely as possible. Get a tyvek suit, gloves, a good dust mask, goggles, etc. You will get some fine residue and it will not be nice when you get it in your eyes or nose. It's bad enough on your skin.

You ought to put down a drop cloth to catch the old paint. It should be required if it isn't. I used discarded shrink wrap last time and threw it out with the old paint debris.
downeast450 likes this.
Old 04-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyboyUpstate View Post
Does the carbide scraper remove the anti-fouling and the barrier coat down to the gelcoat? I have to remove both and start over.
If you get down to a barrier coat (Interlux 2000?) that is well adhered to the gel coat, you'd be better off to switch to sanding if you absolutely have to remove it. If the barrier coat is in good shape, I'd sand it lightly and wash it with the solvent recommended for the new barrier coat.
Old 04-18-2013

Quote:
If you get down to a barrier coat (Interlux 2000?) that is well adhered to the gel coat, you'd be better off to switch to sanding if you absolutely have to remove it. If the barrier coat is in good shape, I'd sand it lightly and wash it with the solvent recommended for the new barrier coat.
Well, this is a boat I just bought last fall. It sat on the hard for 20 years. It was on the ocean, and I'm lake sailing. I have no idea what the old paint is that's a problem because I want to put VC-17 on it and it must go onto its own barrier coat or it won't be right.
Old 04-18-2013

The primer for VC-17m is Interlux 2000E, which is also a barrier coat. If you strip the bottom paint and get to a clean, hard surface and prep it with the appropriate solvent (202)for the 2000, you should be fine. I've used that system for both boats that I stripped. I didn't use VC 17m, but used CSC or ACT ablative copolymer bottom paint (both Interlux products) and it has worked very well.

After you apply several coats of the 2000E, you'll have to let it cure for a while before applying a vinyl bottom paint like VC-17. Interlux also recommends sanding the 2000E with 180 or finer grit before applying the VC-17m.

My suggestion is to read the instructions--something that can be hard for us guys: you won't regret it (assuming you follow the instructions!)
Old 04-18-2013

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough

A friend gave me this great technique.....

I used a 3/4" wood chisel to "peel" 6 layers of paint. It was very fast, sharpening with a diamond sharpener every 20 minutes or so. I used a carbide tipped paint scraper on the keel and rudder. With 2 of us working, it took 8.5 hours. Then I used a 6" (30% more surface area than an 5") random orbit sander attached to a Shop-Vac. I sanded first with 60 grit, then 120 grit, 6 hours total. The shop-vac prevents sandpaper clogging and extends the life of the disk. Replace disks every 5' feet of hull, never try to make sandpaper "last".

Details and photos are in the link. Click the thumbnails for a larger image: Victoria Bottom Stripping & Fairing

Last edited by Sabreman; 04-18-2013 at 10:40 PM.
Old 04-19-2013

Quote:
My suggestion is to read the instructions--something that can be hard for us guys: you won't regret it (assuming you follow the instructions!)
Haha. Yeah, I'm with you. A young apprentice at my job used to tell a story about when he was in the military and some rebel (excuse the term) and he were teamed up and the guy told him "INSTRUCTIONS?! THAT'S THE FIRST THING IN THE TRASH!!!" So we say that all the time.

Last edited by DannyboyUpstate; 04-19-2013 at 06:07 AM.