SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Topside makeover

4K views 37 replies 12 participants last post by  Jgbrown 
#1 · (Edited)
We have a 1987 Pearson 31-2. She is a good boat and has treated me very well. She has been suffering from a bad case of oxidation and it makes her sad. So this year, we decided to give her a makeover and make her shine again. I have been learning a lot and I thought I would share that with everyone. Many many thanks to my Jedi Master of boat restoration, Tom D.

Untitled

Untitled

See less See more
#3 ·
I look forward to seeing your progress. Our Pearson also went through a topsides makeover and I also did much of it myself under the guidance of a Jedi. 90% prep work. 5 percent pondering and nail biting. 5 percent painting.

#8 ·
Here is a shot of the decals removed. This took me a while to figure out. I found that the best method was to heat the edge so I could rub it up and grab it. Once I had something to pull, I put the heat gun in my other hand, about 3 feet down and then would pull. It was critical to keep the gun and the edge that far apart at all times because if you get too close the tape melts or breaks. Just keep your arms in the same position and walk along.

Untitled

#13 ·
I'm glad that the PO of my boat did this before we bought her. With the exception of a few scratches and some chips, her 31 year old gelcoat is smooth as glass now! Looks like a lot of work..will be worth it in the end!

#14 · (Edited)
Just did this, boy what a pain in the keester, except my gelcoat was a disaster, and someone painted the boat 10+ years ago (nicely, but it was wore out)...

Then (you'll note I was doing a bottom job too):

Getting better (coat 2).

Again, this gives a good contrast (coat 3):

This is where it stands now... I have some stuff to scrape off of my mess, and the topsides are wet-sanded, ready for the last coat:

and

If you CAN... preserve the gelcoat, sand 80 grit/150/300/compound/polish/wax. Painting stinks squared. I would not recommend painting to my worst enemy... but that's just me.
EDITED for updating for a finished pic:

#37 ·
Here is the starboard side

Untitled

As you can see, the gel coat was thinner on this side for some reason. I sanded through in several places.
It was probably moored starboard to for much of its life. :)

#24 ·
So.. The port side didnt need any marine tex, so I got that all sanded and ready for paint this past weekend. I hit it with 80 with the speedfile, and then 80, 120 and 180 on the random orbital. I did all this after I filled the holes and cracks on the starboard side. I went down after work yesterday and sanded the marine tex. Most were perfect but 2 needed a lil more love, so I mixed a little more and took care of them. The plan is to do a final marine tex sand tomorrow night. If the weather cooperates, I will try to be ready for primer by the weekend with a plan to paint on the next day that works.

Getting there!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.