Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By bobmcgov

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2013

slax is on a distinguished road
cockpit lockers and some other questions

http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=1112

I recently aquired a new vessel a Vanguard 33' . Dinette arrangement, which I believe I am going to gut the dinette and customize this space with a desk and wall mounted flatscreens on the forewal. removing the table and replacing it with a dropdown table on hinge or something similar to open up the space when inslip/anchored and working and secure the open shelf portside of the cabin. However this is all probably for another thread. The reason I am here is this..

If you look at the dinette image, the quarterberths extend beyond a lipped wall with openings to the last ~30%, ok normal so far, but it appears that any original partitions or liners from that point back are removed, this allows direct access to the aft locker and around to the other side from both berths, also there are no locker compartments from the cockpit access hatches allowing flow through access to the the entire lower aft region when locker doors are open. I have been tracking down as many images as possible of these design to see how the originals or any modified arrangements are outfitted, but while there is a decently sized community am still having problems getting the info I need...

my thoughts, molding new draining cockpit lockers and mounting them in place, adding a partition to the rear area with access doors effectively seperating the aft locker from the berth area and allowing for some additional storage beyond the end of the bed. and adding seperating/access panels to the interior side of each berth seperating it from the controls/wires/manual-bilge/etc currently exposed.

Any thoughts on this subject are greatly appreciated:
locker construction methods?
partition construction methods?
secure storage access panels?
practicality of design ideas?
things I may not be thinking of?

its a bigish project but when completed will allow much more segregation of my storage and access/sleeping arrangements in the aft section. Which in turn opens up much more space in the main cabin for the beginning project and others...

cheers,
slax
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-19-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: cockpit lockers and some other questions

It looks like your berths end just past the start of the cockpit lockers, seems like you should be able to install some shallowish lockers under the cockpit locker lids and not affect the quarterberths.. Another option might be to simply put a bulkhead at the end of each quarterberth and create an isolated full depth cockpit accessible storage area. If the bulkhead ends up a few inches into the locker lid that would continue to allow some ventilation of the berths by cracking the lid open a tad... not a bad thing if you're ever in the tropics or on a hot summer night.

The shallow cockpit lockers could be premolded in F/G with a simple mocked up mold and glassed into place, alternatively the bulkhead could be marine ply and tabbed into place - I'd expect this boat is mostly 'stick built'? ie minimal liners?

Anyhow not a small project but could well be a practical one.

As to the dinette mods, I'd be leery of such a drastic move, it may greatly affect the resale value and you need to visualize all this in full 3D (ie leg room under your 'desk' keeping in mind the hull curvature in that area)

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 04-20-2013
baDumbumbum

bobmcgov will become famous soon enough

We're planning new lids for the cockpit lockers & have been mulling similar questions. Right now, the lockers are cavernous pits -- good for stowing dinghies, outboards, jerry cans, etc, but hard to keep things sorted. Also, they provide access for engine service, so we don't want to partition them off too aggressively.

OTOH, having great gaping holes in the cockpit communicating below w/out anything but the hatch lids to stop the water.... Right now, the flat teak covers don't even have latches on them!

So our plan is to build all new, lipped hatch covers with excellent seals and two sturdy latches each. Inside, I'm going to build 12-14" deep 'tills' that hang from ledgers around the opening -- providing tidy stowage for smaller items and a second line of defense against water intrusion. The tills will have grips so you can easily lift them out to get to the space below. Hopefully that will resolve the competing desires of bulk vs. partitioned stowage; water tightness vs. easy access. Kinda like this:

Faster and slax like this.
Old 04-20-2013

slax is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
It looks like your berths end just past the start of the cockpit lockers, seems like you should be able to install some shallowish lockers under the cockpit locker lids and not affect the quarterberths.. Another option might be to simply put a bulkhead at the end of each quarterberth and create an isolated full depth cockpit accessible storage area. If the bulkhead ends up a few inches into the locker lid that would continue to allow some ventilation of the berths by cracking the lid open a tad... not a bad thing if you're ever in the tropics or on a hot summer night."
Due to aquiring a set of 6 t105's and the process to locate them I have been leaning to closing off the port side quarterberth opening, effectively creating a space for the batteries to reside, well at least 4 at this time, need to see if I can find a creative way arrange them all in there, seems there is the open space but it may not be in area arrangements that work, its on todays list. I was planning on making it more of a sealed hatch as compared to completely blocking it off, allowing me to access it from the cabin if needed. In this side I was going to add a deep drop in locker box as suggested (and tie it into the cockpit draining system). Should leave some space aft of the battery bank to store the storm anchors, some extra lines, maybe even the ladder (would be nice) and definitely takes care of most of my concern on that side... was leaning to the shallow drop in locker for starboard, I like that.. easier to lift out and leaves that space open for not only storage as needed, but Ladies (teh dog) entrance. She's got a huge aft locker space so plenty of room in the boot.

She is pretty minimal in the headliner areas.. Which makes me wonder about working up the battery tiedown frame, some of the level area of the quarterberth is fiberglass and not wood, can see the clear line of material change, I need to add some lengths of 1.5"x1.5" to secure battery straps to, have been reading on methods, and seems guerilla glue is maybe an option? comes recommended for other uses in other threads, or should I do a full 2part epoxy? thoughts?

Per the dinette remodel, its changing as i spend more time making use of the space.. not thinking an entire remodel at this time, just making some changes that would benefit my needs over the current design. as far as resale goes, I am not restoring her, and anything that is well fit and finish would probably do wonders for the resale... at the very least a more modernized version of a classic seaworthy vessel. some form and function. But I do appreciate the advice on being aware of the specs'. Have been stripping the image/layout draft from sailboatdata into layers and importing it into a sketchup adding dimensions and depth, need to get some more precise plans to verify my mock up but am working off the actual measurements of the vessel so feel its pretty close to spec.

Thanks for all the input, its greatly appreciated

slax