Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2013

dacap06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dacap06
When I replaced my bilge pump through hull a while back, I used 3M 4000 Marine sealant. It resists UV degradation better than 4200 does and is about as strong. I second using a hose loop as high as your waterline when heeled is likely to be. I had the backflow problem too until I finally figured out where the water was coming from.
Pasadena, MD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-20-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road
Re: Cutting a through-hull for bilge pump outlet

my boat uses a manual pump.. which is good as there are no other through hulls (except for an above waterline sink) but I was debating putting an electric pump in as a "just in case" for storms and times when I may be out of state working.

it's a 24foot Sea Sprite and I was thinking of running the hose aft to the outboard engine well. Do you think a pump can push that much water? (approximatly 10 feet)

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-20-2013
No more curry buffets

Ritchard is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_machine View Post
it's a 24foot Sea Sprite and I was thinking of running the hose aft to the outboard engine well. Do you think a pump can push that much water? (approximatly 10 feet)
Both my electric bilge pumps push water around 19 or 20 feet of hose run from the bilge to the transom, is that what you mean? I think it's pretty common. I'd not be without at least one electric bilge pump wired straight to the battery (with a fuse). Cheap peace of mind when away from your boat.

I am not sure about outletting into the engine well. Is there anything stopping you from going to the transom or thereabouts? The engine well may be fine, I don't have any idea what yours is like/how it drains, etc.
Old 04-20-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchard View Post
The engine well may be fine, I don't have any idea what yours is like/how it drains, etc.
it's a big open hole in the hull, Being as it is about 2 feet deep, that would be two feet less hose between the pump and outside as opposed to going all the way to the transom

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-21-2013
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_machine View Post
it's a big open hole in the hull, Being as it is about 2 feet deep, that would be two feet less hose between the pump and outside as opposed to going all the way to the transom
Folks usually plumb the bilge pump to the transom because it's almost impossible for the transom to be underwater (unless the boat is far beyond any help a little bilge pump might provide). As long as the engine well never gets enough water to potentially start a back siphon via the bilge pump hose, and you don't mind your outboard getting sprayed with bilge water, it should be fine.

However, one added advantage of going to the transom is that if the pump starts to continuously spew water out (i.e., you have a serious leak and the pump is always on) someone might notice and get word to your marina and/or you before your boat sinks. Such an event happened on my dock almost a year ago; another dock neighbor noticed a bilge pump running almost continuously, he pointed it out to the marina manager, who called the boat's owner, and disaster was avoided (I heard that it was a faulty knotmeter sender).
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 04-21-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I dont think that 2 more feet of smooth bored hose traveling laterally is going to make much difference in pumping. Corrugated hose might. It's rise that makes the most difference and you should already have an anti-siphon loop that is higher than the outlet.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 04-21-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

that's just it. I have a manual pump that requires me to put a hose over the side before pumping. So I am trying to decide the best course of action for a little piece of mind. I wanted to go to the stern to keep heel from affecting the flow.. so maybe I will go to one side of the engine well rather than right to it

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.