Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-20-2013

Ei Leen is on a distinguished road
Don't think so on the Cunningham or the downhaul
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-20-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: What size boom vang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ei Leen View Post
I don't think twisting will be a problem since I have a traveler bar across the back
Your traveller is only effective in helping control twist if the boom is still above it. Once you're going downwind and the sheet's let off there's very little downward component to the mainsheet pull. This is where a vang is helpful, it can be used to limit boom lift, provide leech tension and limit/manage twist.

If I had to pick just one, it would be the vang. A powerful easy-to-use vang is like having an infinitely wide traveler.

As an example, look at a competitive Laser dinghy.. a pretty mediocre traveler arrangement, but you'll see a high power vang.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 04-20-2013

Ei Leen is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the advice. Cripe there's so much to learn. I'm taking it all in as fast as I can. There's a huge learning curve just with the terminology :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster:1018947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ei Leen View Post
I don't think twisting will be a problem since I have a traveler bar across the back
Your traveller is only effective in helping control twist if the boom is still above it. Once you're going downwind and the sheet's let off there's very little downward component to the mainsheet pull. This is where a vang is helpful, it can be used to limit boom lift, provide leech tension and limit/manage twist.

If I had to pick just one, it would be the vang. A powerful easy-to-use vang is like having an infinitely wide traveler.

As an example, look at a competitive Laser dinghy.. a pretty mediocre traveler arrangement, but you'll see a high power vang.
Old 04-21-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

Faster: I hadn't thought about that kind of jybe, that's why I come back here and learn more. I can see how a vang would prevent that, but it's pretty secondary to it's normal purpose or learning how to avoid accidental jybes.
Old 04-21-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex W View Post
Faster: I hadn't thought about that kind of jybe, that's why I come back here and learn more. I can see how a vang would prevent that, but it's pretty secondary to it's normal purpose or learning how to avoid accidental jybes.
True, but such a gybe is almost more likely to occur early in your sailing learning curve rather than later.. something as simple as the vang can prevent that 'unnecessary' occurrence. And it's most likely and most potentially damaging during a DDW - mainsheet fully eased situation.

If a good vang isn't in the budget, a simple fixed strop will perform that function alone...

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)