Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-19-2013

Ei Leen is on a distinguished road
What size boom vang

For a 17' daysailer?
I was thinking of making one but I read somewhere that it probably isn't any cheaper than buying one. Opinions?
If you think it would be cheaper to make one, what size pulleys andline should I look for? My boat already has hardware on the mast and boom to attach it to.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-19-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road
Re: What size boom vang

The smallest Harken blocks (they have a fiddle with 40mm large sheaves) would be fine.

I think this is the set of parts that I'd get:
Harken
Harken

Those two blocks plus some 1/4" line will do the trick and give you 3:1 purchase on the vang. The block with the cleat goes on the mast, the one with the fiddle goes on the boom. The line starts at the becket, goes around the smallersheave on the fiddle, back up to the boom and around the sheave on the single block, then back around the larger sheave on the fiddle and through the cleat.

You'll need 3x longer line than the greatest distance between your mounting points (so with the boom raised a bit), plus enough for a bowline or eyesplice around the becket and a few feet to operate it.

A vang is a very nice control to have, but by no means necessary. If you are learning how to sail then I'd worry about the basics first, then add a vang when you want the ability to control sail twist.
Old 04-19-2013

sesmith is on a distinguished road

Check Garhauer Marine. I don't have enough posts on the forum to post a link. The smallest one would probably work for you but call them to make sure.

I just bought a boom vang from them for our boat. Very good quality, and the price was right. I called them to make sure of the size for our boat.
Old 04-19-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex W View Post

A vang is a very nice control to have, but by no means necessary. If you are learning how to sail then I'd worry about the basics first, then add a vang when you want the ability to control sail twist.
Have to disagree with that, I think a vang is an essential piece of safety gear, esp during accidental gybes. I'd urge anyone to install one early on. Even a fixed strop on small dinghies would be better than nothing...

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 04-20-2013

The boat was made in the 70s and the sail is original, as far as I can tell. I am thinking it is stretched quite a bit and a vang is probably a good idea in order to have as much control over it as possible. Is this thinking correct?

The boat also has a topping lift which does not seem to be adjustable. I've read mixed opinions about whether or not to leave it attached while sailing. I don't particularly care for the way it is attached to the mast. It is attached on the starboard side, so that when the sail swings around to port, the lift is wrapping half way around the mast. If I let go of the boom, everything swings back over to starboard. I think the idea is to keep it all out of the way when the sail is not in use but it seems to me to be a poor design. Anyway, since the topping life is not adjustable, even the weight of the boom is not going to flatten the sails by much. Correct?

Last edited by Ei Leen; 04-20-2013 at 07:48 AM.
Old 04-20-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

If the topping lift is fixed and tighter than the sail leech then the boom vang won't be able to help flatten the sail. It does sound like a poor topping lift setup.

You will probably find that a cunningham or downhaul (does your boat have either?) will do more to flatten the sail and move the draft forward than the vang.

Faster: I haven't thought about the vang as a piece of safety gear during an accidental jybe. How is keeping the boom low during an accidental jybe safer? I don't see it as riskier, I just don't see how it would matter very much.
Old 04-20-2013

DonScribner is on a distinguished road

Check out Ebay. Plenty there in the $80 range. But if you're short on cash, Lowe's sells low cost pulleys that will take enough load for a vang on a 17'' boat. What will you need, 2:1, maybe 3:1? If you're feeling ritzy, I installed a BoomKicker with a 4:1 vang on my Lancer 25. Get's rid of the topping lift. works well.
Old 04-20-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex W View Post
Faster: I haven't thought about the vang as a piece of safety gear during an accidental jybe. How is keeping the boom low during an accidental jybe safer? I don't see it as riskier, I just don't see how it would matter very much.
Alex.. without a vang a 'goosewing gybe' is a possiblilty.. in this case the initially only half the leech gybes and it assumes an 'S' shape (only possible because the boom can lift with no downward pull from the sheet and no vang) This causes the boom to move across on an arc rather than a level 'swing'.. lots more potential energy and violence when the rest of the sail gybes and the boom crashes 'over and down'

Here's a small image of one on a gaff rig..

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 04-20-2013 at 10:01 AM.
Old 04-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonScribner View Post
Check out Ebay. Plenty there in the $80 range. But if you're short on cash, Lowe's sells low cost pulleys that will take enough load for a vang on a 17'' boat. What will you need, 2:1, maybe 3:1? If you're feeling ritzy, I installed a BoomKicker with a 4:1 vang on my Lancer 25. Get's rid of the topping lift. works well.
I've thought about a Boomkicker but a bit pricey for me right now. Thanks for the tip on pulleys, though. I found a groovy plan for a mast raising system and need pulleys for that.
Old 04-20-2013

I don't think twisting will be a problem since I have a traveler bar across the back