Can't drop gear case to change impeller on Tohatsu 6HP - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-22-2013

gallilaw is on a distinguished road
Re: Can't drop gear case to change impeller on Tohatsu 6HP

Finally got it apart. It took an unbelievable amount of force. I actually snapped a pry bar. Used a heavier pry bar, applied more force than I want to remember, and the drive shaft finally released. Put in a whole pump repair kit, not just the impeller.

After all the time and effort getting it apart, I forgot to care about the gear sync when I put it back together. Now all the parts are assembled and I don't know what direction the clutch cam is pointing, what gear it's in currently, or whether the cam rod and the shift rod are properly set up at the shift rod joint.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-22-2013

capecodda is on a distinguished road

If it's like other small outboards I've worked on, you can mess with the shift rod adjustment till you get it right. Disconnect the spark plugs so you're sure it won't start, then try different shift rod adjustments. When it's in gear forward and reverse, you shouldn't be able to easily turn the prop by hand (cause of engine compression). When in neutral, it should spin freely. You probably are close to the right setting if you get neutral in the middle setting, and the prop doesn't easily turn in forward and reverse. Once you've got it adjusted as above, then put it in the water and fire it up and see if it works in all 3 positions. If you hear it slipping or not fully engaging, try again....

Not sure this is the best way but it's worked for me. Good luck!
Old 04-22-2013

dabnis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallilaw View Post
Finally got it apart. It took an unbelievable amount of force. I actually snapped a pry bar. Used a heavier pry bar, applied more force than I want to remember, and the drive shaft finally released. Put in a whole pump repair kit, not just the impeller.

After all the time and effort getting it apart, I forgot to care about the gear sync when I put it back together. Now all the parts are assembled and I don't know what direction the clutch cam is pointing, what gear it's in currently, or whether the cam rod and the shift rod are properly set up at the shift rod joint.
Oh, dear!!, if you took the drive shaft out of the gear box you may have a problem. My experience was with OMC motors, so have no hands on experience with the Tohatsu. You might try gripping the shift rod and push it as far down as it will go. Then pull the engine over to see which way the prop turns. Then adjust the shift lever accordingly.

Paul T
Old 04-22-2013

gallilaw is on a distinguished road

Problem solved (I think). I took the lower rig apart once more to make sure that the cam rod was turned in the correct direction. I pressed it down to seat it in the reverse position.

After wiggling the drive shaft and cam rod into position, I tightened the lower unit to the shaft housing. The gears were still messed up. I used a big handle from a socket wrench to put force on the end of the cam rod that exits the shaft housing at the upper end, near the engine. Plunk. It dropped another inch. That seated the cam shaft one notch lower, to the true reverse position. At that point I tightened the cam rod clamp and all the gears were working again.

I hope it works as well when I turn the power on, some time tomorrow.
Old 04-22-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallilaw View Post
Problem solved (I think). I took the lower rig apart once more to make sure that the cam rod was turned in the correct direction. I pressed it down to seat it in the reverse position.

After wiggling the drive shaft and cam rod into position, I tightened the lower unit to the shaft housing. The gears were still messed up. I used a big handle from a socket wrench to put force on the end of the cam rod that exits the shaft housing at the upper end, near the engine. Plunk. It dropped another inch. That seated the cam shaft one notch lower, to the true reverse position. At that point I tightened the cam rod clamp and all the gears were working again.

I hope it works as well when I turn the power on, some time tomorrow.
I see, I think When you get it on the boat, suggest you put the power to it very easily and slowly. If it stutters or jumps out of gear more adjustment may be necessary.

Paul T
Old 04-23-2013

capecodda is on a distinguished road

When it comes to fixing stuff like this, trial and error has always worked for me....mostly

Good going!
Old 04-23-2013

I kind of got lost in your description of the linkage. If all you did was to disconnect the coupling, I would think just re-coupling it with the original marks would do it? However, if you took the drive shaft out of the gear casing, that may be another story? Pictures?

Paul T