SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Can't drop gear case to change impeller on Tohatsu 6HP (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/98678-cant-drop-gear-case-change-impeller-tohatsu-6hp.html)

gallilaw 04-20-2013 01:46 PM

Can't drop gear case to change impeller on Tohatsu 6HP

I need to change the impeller on my 2-year-old Tohatsu 6HP SailPro.

I have the Service Manual and have followed the instructions.

I removed the rubber grommet and loosened the shift rod joint bolt, and the two rods can now move independently and freely.

I have removed the two gear case bolts.

I have tried many times to pull the gear case assembly down to gain access to the water pump, but each time it remains firmly attached, almost as if the drive shaft was bolted to the engine.

I can wiggle the gear cases assembly freely; I just can't get it to drop.

I have used my hand to slam it down, and have tapped it with a hammer, using some wood as a buffer to avoid metal-to-metal contact.

Because my SailPro is a long-shaft, there is a large cast spacer that connect the gear case assembly to the drive shaft housing. I have tried to free up the gear case assembly by disconnecting the bolts that hold the spacer in place. No change; the gear case assembly won't drop.

I have tried turning the engine to move the drive shaft but that doesn't help either.

I am afraid if I hit the gear case assembly any harder I will wreck the motor.

Any advice?

deniseO30 04-20-2013 01:57 PM

Re: Can't drop gear case to change impeller on Tohatsu 6HP

I can't help you specifically but there's a forum you could join.
Honda & Tohatsu/Nissan Outboards

and a link for pdf manuals
http://www.tohatsu.com/tech_info/manuals.html

Some have bolts upside down holding lower case on. Others are really really difficult with the linkage. Hope the link helps.

overbored 04-20-2013 02:15 PM

on the earlier models there is a shift linkage that has to be disconnected for the case to come down. and every time i do it i forget until the light goes.

capecodda 04-20-2013 02:42 PM

On a much older yamaha I had one stick like this even with everything disconnected. Needed to wedge it with screw drivers and whale away with a hammer.

I wonder since it's relatively new if even the paint at the lower unit junction is holding it? Just a guess....if thats it might be able to get a sharp knife in there and break it.

The designers of outboards couldn't have made changing a water pump impeller harder if they tried!

dabnis 04-20-2013 03:21 PM

Try this one, I have the same motor, standard shaft, I will see if I can find any "hidden" bolts.

2011 MFS6C Tohatsu Outboard GEAR CASE, DRIVE SHAFT & GEAR CASE, PROPELLER SHAFT Diagram and Parts

Paul T

misfits 04-20-2013 07:01 PM

Dabnis, God love ya !

LETS GET SERIOUS ABOUT CRIMINAL CONTROL NOW

dabnis 04-20-2013 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by misfits (Post 1019044)
Dabnis, God love ya !

LETS GET SERIOUS ABOUT CRIMINAL CONTROL NOW

I am trying, but there are a lot of people against me:D

Paul T

dabnis 04-20-2013 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dabnis (Post 1019005)
Try this one, I have the same motor, standard shaft, I will see if I can find any "hidden" bolts.

2011 MFS6C Tohatsu Outboard GEAR CASE, DRIVE SHAFT & GEAR CASE, PROPELLER SHAFT Diagram and Parts

Paul T

On mine, the only bolts I can see are bolts 53 & 55. There is a member by the name of pvann---? who is a Tohatsu rep. He may be able to help you, or maybe your local dealer could tell you what the trick is?

Paul T

macwester26 04-21-2013 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dabnis (Post 1019067)
On mine, the only bolts I can see are bolts 53 & 55. There is a member by the name of pvann---? who is a Tohatsu rep. He may be able to help you, or maybe your local dealer could tell you what the trick is?

Paul T

Is there an anode ? if so removing the bolt may help you Some outboard engines have the anode bolted on the bottom of the shaft...and this also holds the shaft in...

dabnis 04-21-2013 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by macwester26 (Post 1019300)
Is there an anode ? if so removing the bolt may help you Some outboard engines have the anode bolted on the bottom of the shaft...and this also holds the shaft in...

Good point!! Yes, there is one on the housing just above the cavitation plate, I think. I guess the best approach may be to remove anything you can get your hands on. I would, however, leave the driveshaft in the gear box housing. Not sure if things would fall in to themselves if you take it out, but wouldn't want to find out the hard way.

Paul T