Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-20-2013

bristol299bob is on a distinguished road
waxed gelcoat?

I will be doing a small fiberglass repair next weekend. Its a little bigger than a sq ft. I'll require a layer or two of fiberglass. I intend to finish it with a layer or two of gelcoat. Its that second coat of gelcoat that i'm wondering about.

I've got some "waxed gelcoat" .... gelcoat with wax mixed in. I've used it a few times already. It air dries; my understanding is that the wax migrates to the surface so that it will cure. So no need to overspray with PVA. I've only used it as one coat so far.

With this stuff, what about a second coat? Can I do it while the first is still tacky? or will the wax interfere? Is it better to wait until fully cured, and clean with acetone before the second coat?

or should I skip this stuff altogether and go with "regular" gelcoat and spray the final coat with PVA?
Hull #5
Oriental NC
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-21-2013
Have a go and DIY .....

macwester26 is on a distinguished road
Re: waxed gelcoat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bristol299bob View Post
I will be doing a small fiberglass repair next weekend. Its a little bigger than a sq ft. I'll require a layer or two of fiberglass. I intend to finish it with a layer or two of gelcoat. Its that second coat of gelcoat that i'm wondering about.

I've got some "waxed gelcoat" .... gelcoat with wax mixed in. I've used it a few times already. It air dries; my understanding is that the wax migrates to the surface so that it will cure. So no need to overspray with PVA. I've only used it as one coat so far.

With this stuff, what about a second coat? Can I do it while the first is still tacky? or will the wax interfere? Is it better to wait until fully cured, and clean with acetone before the second coat?

or should I skip this stuff altogether and go with "regular" gelcoat and spray the final coat with PVA?

You can use the waxed gelcoat as a second coat
If you need to apply another coat the waxed gelcoat will have to be well sanded.before applying other coats.

I use the same waxed gelcoat on several coats each time sanding down until I have a smooth surface that i can then use finer grade wet and dry sandpapers on and then when all is looking good i then polish it with a compound cutting paste until it shines.
Old 04-21-2013

lancelot9898 is on a distinguished road
Re: waxed gelcoat?

I'm going to be making some gelcoat repairs myself soon and have asked the same question about using multiply layers. The latest and greatest info out of Jamestown Distributors indicates that I can use a prevail sprayer with a wax gel and apply muti layers without sanding as long as each coat is put down within minutes of each other. I want to use thin coats however I also want to have sufficient layers to gain maybe a 20 mil thickness. Not sure how many layers would be needed for that thickness. Still learning.