SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

seeking advice on protecting my keel

883 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Hudsonian 
#1 ·
I have a 1986 J-22 and I've noticed recently that the material protecting the (cast iron?) keel is in need of repair. An image of the area needing repair is below. As you can see, it's down to the metal, and it looks like there is some light oxidation there. My best guess at the protecting material is that it's tar since it feels rubbery and I was able to tear it off. What I'm thinking of doing is using a grinder to smoothen the edges and remove the oxidation, and then use epoxy. Does this sound like a good or bad idea?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m0mj65og0c78io7/2013-04-20 12.07.54.jpg

#3 ·
There's not enough 'rust' there for that to be an iron keel... I wouldn't have thought that the Js used iron anyway (but not positive about that). That's a pretty big chunk of fairing knocked out of there, grinding back and refilling/fairing is straightforward enough.

#5 ·

Trust me it is lead never seen anybody muck one up quite that bad without a lot of big rocks involved a bunch of times :eek:

Your going to have to remove all the lose fairing material clean things up and do a WHOLE bunch filling and sanding

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.