Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-21-2013
kp44

Elewese is on a distinguished road
Cape Horn on larger boats

Posted in the wrong forum last time--oh well, a newbie here.
I am considering buying a Cape Horn wind vane for my Kelly Peterson 44 with a displacement of 33,000 lbs. My other choice is the Auto Helm vane but it is a bit bulky. No others will fit due to the radar/solar panel arch in the back. I have found many articles and comments for boats in the mid 30 foot range but few in the mid 40 foot range Any comments would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-21-2013
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Cape Horn on larger boats

I would talk to the vendors and see what larger boats they are on and what the success has been. They will not sell to a boat that is too big. Bad referrals are not good. We have a Monitor on a Bristol 45.5 (40,000 lbs) and it has been wonderful. Don't know enough about the Cape Horn to comment, but it seems a bit lighter in construction.
Old 04-21-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

Have the same problem. Between hard dodger,hard bimini with solar panels and two wind generators concerned about getting "clean air" to wind vane. Had a fleming on a prior boat and loved it. Have communicated with Monitor folks who have a mounting system that moves the vane back a bit and will swing out of the way to allow access to swim ladder but expensive. They suggested while the boat is sailing using tell tails and on different points of sail see if the potential axis of the vane will get clean air. Another option is to go with a Hydrovane and elongate the mounting arms a bit to get the device far enoguh aft. Be interested if other folks have faced this problem and how they solved it. For now will carry an extra ram and spares for the autopilot. Alot less expensive but like the idea of having a potential emergecy rudder already set up so miss the redundency of having a vane.
Old 04-21-2013
kp44

Elewese is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Cape Horn on larger boats

Thanks for the replies so far. Your input is appreciated.

I talked with Eric at the Strictly Sail boat show in Alameda, CA. He felt the spray model would be fine for the boat size. As for light construction, since the vane turns the oar in the water and the force of the water then turns the quadrant on the boat the weak link would be the lines to the quadrant. With Dynex dux or some other low stretch synthetic that should not be an issue. My concern is about the ability of the vane to power the rudder as designed, especially in large following seas (10-15 foot or more) Responsiveness is a must. The design makes the system durable enough.

That said, has anyone used one on a boat with 30,000+ displacement in open ocean?
Old 12-12-2013
Jeff on <i>Beatrix</i>

svbeatrix is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to svbeatrix

I have a Cap Horn for sale off my KP44 if you want it. Unfortunately it is in Australia. I know of no KP44 on which the Cap Horn ever worked. Have you looked at Hydrovane?

Jeff off KP44 Beatrrix
Old 12-12-2013
Jeff on <i>Beatrix</i>

svbeatrix is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to svbeatrix

P.S. Elewese if not a member of the Yahoo Peterson Cutter group you should join up.