SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Switching from marine head to porta potty

9K views 21 replies 16 participants last post by  rbyham 
#1 ·
Mr. cthoops (aka Pegu Club) and I are the new owners of a 1975 Bristol Corsair 24' 7" (our first boat).

The boat came with a manual marine head and never-used holding tank, but we want to remove the holding tank and head and switch to a port potty. We like to keep things simple, and having a couple of less thruhulls is appealing. Given that it's never been used, we figure this is the perfect time to do it.

Is this a difficult job, or is it something that a couple of newbies can do? Approximately how long can it take? Most importantly, can someone point me to a link or even a book that would describe how to do this?

Thanks!

#2 ·
Really ?
Have you ever carried a full porta-potty to a head and dumped it? Familiar with the expression "Gag a vulture off a gut wagon"?
I spent half my life dreaming of the day I'd have a boat big enough to have a real head, don't remove it.

#3 ·
I can appreciate the desire to simplify. The prospect of tearing apart the head on my boat to rebuild it really isn't something that I'm thrilled with But, as Capttpb said, dumping the port-a-potty really isn't something I'm thrilled with, either. In the end, I'd rather rebuild the head every few years and handle the "mess" via a pump-out rather than having to carry a feces and urine filled port-a-potty to whatever location it needs to go to before I can dump it. But that's just my opinion. If you do decide to switch, do your best to keep the tank, etc. in place for the next owner. There may even be a way of plugging up the thru-hull without permanently glassing it over that would still address your concern.

#4 ·
I know that people have strong opinions re: marine heads vs porta potties, and my intent wasn't to rekindle that debate. I'm just looking for info on removing the tank and head. It looks like a fairly simple procedure from what I've seen. Cut the hoses, take out the tank, repeat with head. Is that true, or am I missing something?

#8 ·
Might affect re-sale value. Anyway, if you look up filling holes in boats with fiberglass, epoxy, backing plates covering the holes. Cost of hauling boat and launching, store on land cost, labor cost, materials. Don Casey's books are a possibility.
The hoses are really tuff and strong and so are the thru hulls and your life may depend on a good job done by somebody in sealing the hole.
..Is there anything that bothers you about the holding tank ? Where are you going to dump the porta potti ?

#9 ·
..Is there anything that bothers you about the holding tank ? Where are you going to dump the porta potti ?
It's not the holding tank itself, it's just that (to me) the whole system is unnecessary.

I don't believe the boat was originally designed with one to begin with so the whole system needed to be kind of jury rigged. The holding tank takes up quite a bit of what is already limited storage, it doesn't seem to be in the best location (aft of amidships with the head in the vberth), the hoses, the thruhulls, the winterizing, etc.

I'm the kind of girl who has no problem using a lady j and a water bottle when I have to pee, so frankly between that and the marina heads, I doubt the porta potty will get much use anyway. Given all of that, it seems easier overall to just get rid of the system.

The marina has a portable pumpout and dump station, and bathrooms.

#10 ·
I personally don't have the problems with a porta-pottie as others here do. They actually are pretty easily maintained... so I don't really get the stigma...

HOWEVER, a head with a holding tank is a good thing (in my opinion of course)... the ONLY reason I'd kill myself removing it, would be if pump out facilities are hard to find (which is my case)...

As far as removing it... your biggest problem is the through hull. You can leave the holding tank and cork it (but it may be just as easy to remove). Cutting out all the hoses is pretty straightforward. The through hull can be stoppered for now (if the boat is in the water)... then again at next haul out you can affect repairs on your schedule. Honestly, I think the job is doable by a noob... just have to be thorough. Also be prepared to haul the boat back out if it fails on relaunch!

Again, I wouldn't remove a functioning head with a holding tank for a porta pottie (because of the work)... but if it's because pump-outs are hard to get to... then by all means.

As far as not having any women aboard that wouldn't use a bucket... well, that MAY be but he also might not have had many aboard! or ones that came back! PP and Head is a little more civilized at least.

#11 · (Edited)
I suspect that a retro-fitted holding tank on a boat like the OP's is not going to be large enough to flush enough water very many times to maintain a good aerobic bacteria colony and keep the waste line clear. These are mandatory to keep it from smelling. It may be wise not to go there.

If you do remove the hose, I highly recommend removing the brass barb from the thru hull and replacing it with a threaded plug, until you get the chance to glass over the thru hull.

Having grown up on boats with porta pottys, they are objectionable too. They are very messy to empty and many/most marinas will not let you take it in their restroom and flush it. Perhaps the most objectionable feature of a porta potty are the nuclear chemicals that must be added to keep them from smelling aboard. Those chemicals end up in the environment, sewer system or your spectic fields. They were designed to kill the good with the bad. Keeping a holding tank with zero disinfectant chemicals is one of the friendliest environmental approaches. If pumped off shore or pumped out and sent to a municipal treatment plant, it is usually well managed by the environment (exluding some poor muni treatment plants).

I'm not a huge fan of composting heads, but this may be the place for one. It would probably allow more time between emptying. However, bagging up the "partially" decomposed waste in a plastic bag and sending it to a landfill that it not designed for this, is not the friendliest environmental approach. I know that some bring it to composter at their home, but doubt many do.

If the OP or anyone is interested in how to properly manage a holding tank, this is the bible.

Get Rid of Boat Odors: A Boat Owners Guide to Marine Sanitation Systems and Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor: Peggie Hall: 9781892399151: Amazon.com: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51c0oAGGw1L.@@AMEPARAM@@51c0oAGGw1L

#12 ·
Since I'm in the process of replacing my PortaPotty and going back to the (previously removed) sanitation system, I'd chime in with those who advise keeping your fixed head.

You didn't say what brand you have; rebuild kits are available for most of them.

Even if you decide to remove and replace with a new unit, you can spend as little as $200. for the current Jabso manual models.

One of the most overlooked sources of head odor (other than old, permeated hoses) is the critter growth inside of the water supply. If you are in salt water, adding a fresh water strainer between the thru hull and supply to the head will make a huge difference. This is also applicable to fresh water boats.

If you don't have proper seacocks on the overboard discharge line or inlet line, I'd strongly recommend that you replace those.

Murph

S/V Amalia
1965 Cal 30

#14 ·
I agree. I recently ordered a C-Head for my PS 37. The original owner had the head plumbed directly overboard and used the holding tank as a spare water tank. I decided to go the composting route. I can't say enough about the excellent support I got from Sandy, the owner. The PS 37 head space is pretty small and I was not sure that the unit would fit. I sent Sandy some pictures and measurements and he offered to modify one of his units (he sells several models) to fit the space. After making a cardboard mock-up with the instructions he provides, it turned out the standard angle back model fit fine. Due to the slight overhang, Sandy made some recommendations for adding a lower support that will be easy to make out of Starboard. I can't provide any feedback on the performance yet (just installed it), but the reviews are very positive. Also, I would not remove the through hulls. You might want them in the future for an AC unit, anchor wash etc.

#15 ·
I did exactly what you are proposing on my Cal 2-30. In my case, however, the holding bladder and hoses were well used. Also, the boat was hauled out when I bought her, so the first thing I did was remove the two through hulls (drainage, intake) and glass over the holes. Once on the water I proceeded to removing the rest. I won't lie- it was a smelly, disgusting mess that took some doing for one person. The hose to the bladder ran under the V-berth to the port side vanity where the bladder was mounted to the port wall. There was a pump out deck plate above (still there) and a vent above that (also still there) that I removed the hoses from and cleaned thoroughly. The deck plate remains sealed and the vent is now, well, a vent. I made a mess in the cabin when pulling the drain hose out, but my boat is pretty sparse in decor, so I hosed her down pretty good. I put in a Thetford on a home made stand and haven't regretted it. The moment I got rid of all that, my boat smelled different in a good way. Resale value may take a hit, but this is not an investment and in Southern California there are places that frown upon boats with heads that drain into the ocean.
As an aside, I rarely use the head. As a single hander, I have the old 'milk bottle with a line attached' in the laz and a bucket if I should ever need to go #2 (which hasn't happened yet). I use the marina toilet, which is about 100 yards from my slip.
If you have to do it in the water, just close the through hull, remove hoses and carry on until you do haul out.

#16 ·
Hoops, you had me at lady J, don't listen to the sea monkeys, its your boat do what you want. I used a porta-potty for years and yes there is good and bad. We used vinegar for odor control and cleaned it often. Marine heads are disgusting but so is pooping in general. We use a wag bag for emergency's, bucket and chuck-it when we can and the marine heads the rest of the time. Again you guys made a great choice in your new purchase, keep her simple.

#17 ·
You don't need any through hulls with a holding tank. You can pull water from a sink drain through hull. If you only use a pump-out then you just need the deck through hull for the pump-out, no underwater through-hulls. For most coastal cruisers there is no advantage to being able to dump overboard, since you can't legally do it in most coastal waters anyway.

A simple marine head + holding tank is barely more complicated than a porta-potty and a lot nicer to empty.

#18 ·
Check Please !

the owner has had it since 1985, and he has kept it in impeccable condition. I mean, this thing is incredible. He has kept up with everything. He even had all of the turnbuckles lubed, cleaned and ready to go for spring in labeled baggies. Even the seacocks are immaculate. No water penetration in the chainplates (he has rebedded everything a few times since he's owned it and always wonders why he's bothered since it's dry), the mahogany and teak is perfect, no soft spots, very little cracking in the gelcoat. He's selling because he's bought a bigger boat and he's going to be staying in the same marina. He said we could call him if we have questions, etc.
In one week, you've gone from this to "I'm gonna remove the new head, hoses and seacocks to **** in a bucket and hand carry my crap in the name of simplicity".
You started out so good, what happened ? Did you forget you got a boat to go sailing and got distracted by a holding tank ? I know you have no reason to respect my opinion, but did you run this idea past the PO. Seems like you kinda respected his opinion a while ago. I'd be willing to abide by his decision.
I'd normally have given up and shut up earlier but I'm feeling optimistic today.

#19 ·
Removing the old and putting in a Porta Pot is not difficult. For the way we sail, the Porta is the best system, so that's what we use in our 2007 Catalina 309.

Just a matter of taking the old stuff out one piece at a time. Just remember, there will be times you will want to have safety goggles on and keep your mouth shut and/or wear a disposable face mask. You don't want to be tugging on a hose and have some splash back :puke!!!!!!

In the case of our 309, I took out the toilet but left the holding tank intact to make it easier for me or a subsequent owner to re-install the old system.

#20 ·
I appreciate the mention of the C-Head by a few posters. I was only aware of Airhead and Nature's Head. A composting toilet is definitely our first choice, so hopefully the smaller size of the C-Head (or the willingness of C-Head's owner to modify) will work in our space.

As I posted earlier, I know that the type of head that people have almost always inspires a vigorous debate. I'm glad it does - that's how we learned about composting toilets as we read posts over the past year. Everyone has their preferred option, from buckets to electronic flushing toilets, and I think that's great as long as a person has a system that they are satisfied with.

I am not particularly concerned with what the prior owner has done in setting up this system. If the rest of the boat is any indication, I'm sure he did a fine job. But in looking at boats on-line for the past year, Mr. cthoops and I have never had a marine head on our "wants" list. In fact, initially we weren't going to look at any boats that had them because we knew we would just end up removing it. I'm glad we changed our minds on that one, or we never would have even seen our boat!

If we remove the system and eventually decide that we made a mistake, then fine. We'll reinstall. Is that an expense I'd rather not have? Sure. But I'd rather remove it when it's never been used vs. ignore our instincts only to end up removing a used one. :)

Ultimately, it doesn't sound like removing the holding tank and head is a difficult job. Thanks for the feedback!

#22 ·
I am curious why nobody has suggested a pump able Porta potti. That is my solution. Ezzy breezy.. The 5 gal holding tank lasts 2 months of 3x a week ailing for two of us. Easy to pull up to marina pump and the honey. No idea how hard it would be to remove old. I would tend to keep old stuff in and use plumbing and deck pump out fixture for the pump able pp. Oh and let me add that EVERYTHING is hard on a Sailboat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.