Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Rebuild head, or replace, and with what?

We have a Groco head in our boat (not sure of the exact model), and at the very least, it needs to be rebuilt. The innards are easily 3 years old, and I don't know what they were exposed to in the interim. Before I let my wife and kids aboard, I'd really like to know that I have a working head. So, I'm now left with the conundrum of rebuilding or replacing. I've done enough household plumbing to know that I REALLY don't like doing plumbing work. I have a strong stomach, but still, I'd rather not be anywhere near those odors or the contents of the holding tank. Thus, I'm leaning toward replacing the head (which I understand is typically the cleaner and faster job), but I'm open to rebuilding it if that's really the better bet. If replacing is the better option, what are the better "budget buys"? We're already spending enough on other stuff that I'd rather not put $400-500 into a toilet.

I saw some reviews online, but most seem to be several years old, and I can't find anything more recent. Any pointers are greatly appreciated!
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-24-2013

celenoglu is on a distinguished road
Re: Rebuild head, or replace, and with what?

Replace the pump only. You can rebuild it, but replacing is much easier and cleaner.
SloopJonB likes this.
Old 04-24-2013
no longer reading SailNet

Alex W is on a distinguished road

Check which model of Groco it is. My Catalina 25 came with a GE and upgrading the parts to a use their modern pump was close to the price of a new head.

I put a Raritan PHC in my Catalina and again in my Pearson. They have a great reputation and have worked well for me so far. They are in the $200-$250 price range.
Old 04-24-2013

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about

I think you'll find that most rebuild kits cost almost as much as a new head, add your time to do the rebuild and the $130.00 for a new manual head is looking pretty good
Old 04-24-2013
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road
Wink Re: Rebuild head, or replace, and with what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopdeckpappy View Post
I think you'll find that most rebuild kits cost almost as much as a new head, add your time to do the rebuild and the $130.00 for a new manual head is looking pretty good
I made the well intentioned mistake of trying to rebuild the head on our Islander when it was failing. Old nylon parts and seals cracking... I failed. It wasn't after spending considerable time and the money for parts. We now have a new Lavac. A bit tricky to fit the pump but it was a good choice. The pump is under the counter now and out of the way. There is little enough space in our head. Replace it.

With a Y valve and a pickup hose running into the bilge it provides a second manual emergency bilge pump too!

Down

Last edited by downeast450; 04-24-2013 at 12:20 PM.
Old 04-24-2013

davisr is on a distinguished road

I contemplated rebuilding but ended up replacing mine with a Raritan.
Old 04-24-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I rebuilt 3 heads last year and will never ever do it again. Buy new.

If you're interested, an electric macerating head is only a little more and much more like a home toilet. (not exactly)

Advantage: Easier for novices to use. Even the seasoned user won't often manually pump what they really should to clear the lines. Much less likely to get a clog, as all contents are macerated at the bowl.

Disadvantage: Need electricity. Must flush substantially more water than a manual head, so they take up holding tank capacity faster.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 04-24-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Which one did you get, Minne?
1975 Albacore 15

Old 04-24-2013

LinekinBayCD is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post

We have a Groco head in our boat (not sure of the exact model), and at the very least, it needs to be rebuilt. The innards are easily 3 years old, and I don't know what they were exposed to in the interim. Before I let my wife and kids aboard, I'd really like to know that I have a working head. So, I'm now left with the conundrum of rebuilding or replacing. I've done enough household plumbing to know that I REALLY don't like doing plumbing work. I have a strong stomach, but still, I'd rather not be anywhere near those odors or the contents of the holding tank. Thus, I'm leaning toward replacing the head (which I understand is typically the cleaner and faster job), but I'm open to rebuilding it if that's really the better bet. If replacing is the better option, what are the better "budget buys"? We're already spending enough on other stuff that I'd rather not put $400-500 into a toilet.

I saw some reviews online, but most seem to be several years old, and I can't find anything more recent. Any pointers are greatly appreciated!

Check the base of the head. If it is plastic definitely replace. If it is bronze painted white its a newer model and you could probably be ok with a new pump or rebuild kit. My original Groco had the plastic base so i replaced the whole unit. The bolt pattern on bronze base is slightly different so you will likely need two new holes (of the four) for the base.
Old 04-24-2013
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

A friend of mine has that exact toilet, and he has had to rebuild his pump every two years. He actually keeps a spare, and just swaps them. I think the Groco toilet is terrible.

You can buy a Jabsco for pretty cheap, rebuild kits are cheap and simple, and they typically last longer than two years.

A Lavac vacu-flush toilet on the other hand, costs a little more, but uses much less flushing water, which nearly doubles the amount of time between pump-outs. The Lavac doesn't require electricity, you can pump manually to achieve the vacuum necessary to flush the toilet.
downeast450 and katsailor like this.
1973 Pearson 30 #255

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.