Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-18-2010
Splashed

JomsViking is on a distinguished road
I'm a great fan of Gori (low drag), and my experience is that they are less prone to corrosion than many others - eating less zinc. I also know them as having EXTREMELY good customer service, but that could be due to the fact that we're from the same country.
But as others have stated poor maintenance hurts any boat or prop
Old 12-18-2010

PCP will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd22 View Post
...and the little zinc on the Autoprop on our last sailboat was gone in about six months. It's just common sense to check the zincs every couple of months on a different prop or in a new marina.
As many have said, different marinas and waters can have widely different results on the zincs duration. I had an autoprop for 5 years, in 3 different marinas and its zinks (mine come with two, one bigger and a smaller one) always lasted a year, and were substituted more for prevention then for need. However, when I mounted the autoprop I have increased all the sizes of the zinks on the boat and later also increased the size of the smaller autoprop zink.

The OP says that the Gori comes with very small zinks. I never quite looked at the size of the Gori zinks, but if they are really small, that means that they have to be checked and changed more frequently.

Regards

Paulo
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-05-2011

Nelsoncw is on a distinguished road
I have an Autoprop on my Catalina 42. AB Marine had rebuilt the prop in 2007. In May of 2009 and 225 hours later a blade came off. Buntons Marine replaced the blade for $1500. I had it lubricated every six months. I am always in deep water. It never touched anything but saltwater. I only go to Catalina and back. Other than the lost blade there was not any evidence of damage or distress.

At the time Steve Armitage of AB Marine told me that losing a blade was a rare occurrence and that he did not have an explanation for why the blade fell off. David Sheppard of Brunton's Propellers Ltd, told me losing a blade is an ďan exceptional caseĒ. Contrary to their comments the prop has been subject to a recall for lost blades. If you search other support groups and blogs you will find many others that have lost Autoprop blades. It demeans their credibility to say otherwise.

Although I enjoy the performance of my Autoprop my experience with AB Marine and Brunton's Propellers has been extremely disappointing. They are unwilling to stand behind their product. In all their replies I feel like I am hearing from a politician trying not to give a straight answer.
Old 02-07-2011
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
I haven't bought through them YET, but I found these cheaper Gori zinc's online - Gori Propeller Zinc Anodes
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Old 02-08-2011
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
Geez Nelson, how many times and places are you going to post that same thing? I think most people in the known world understand by now that you aren't a fan of Autoprop. By the way, we've had one on a boat for 18 years, no problems, and works great.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 06-21-2013

SteveFredrick is on a distinguished road
Re: Never a Gori prop again!

Wow, let's see. My yacht, a First 42, has had two (2) Gori propellers in 28 years. The first 2 blade lasted 16 years, never showed any signs of corrosion, and was only replaced because I wanted the 3-blade. My 3 blade is now 12 years old, shows no signs of any corrosion, no appreciable wear, has been on the yacht for more than 20,000 miles, and the yacht has docked at marinas in more than 20 different countries. My only complaint is the maintenance parts are ridiculously expensive.
Old 06-21-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Steve! The OP must of made peace with Gori, this thread was started in 2004!

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-21-2013

blutoyz is on a distinguished road

Why not keep this thread going now...perhaps we can dig a little and find one from the 90's too,,,,

I am curious though...
How many pages back do you go for a thread this old?
Old 06-21-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

"Steve! The OP must of made peace with Gori, this thread was started in 2004! "

Denise,

But Gori never made peace with me. A First 42 would not have an electrolycally isolated prop, so he may not have experienced any prop failured and had service needs from Gori. But if he actually needed Gori to stand by their product, and experienced thier cavalier attitude, and lack of support, he would probably have as low opinion of Gori as many Gori owners do.

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies